• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 8x Bino’s for the money (1 Viewer)

Look I know it’s been discussed, but I want to take a different approach.
I have been down in this rabbit hole for a while now and think I have narrowed it down to 3-4 Bino’s however I just keep going round and around with them all, the more I read.
First is the most $$$, with the Zeiss SF 8x42, which some say are the best of the best 8x out there and some say they could be better or you can do just as good for cheaper. Next is the Zeiss SFL 8x40, cheaper by almost $1k for what I can get of them for, so is the SF really worth $1k more? Or with it’s sometimes talked about Green hue vs the SFL more neutral one and lighter is it the way to go and at $1k less expensive? Then there is the Kowa Genesis 8x’s, yes I know are heavier (which is a big deal to a lot) but for what I can get them for at almost half the price of the SFL and almost a 1/4 of the price of the SF, at the end of the day am I going to be kicking myself 3-6mo down the road and seeking what I got to get one of the others (which I have done many times with Gun scopes). I own a Kowa TSN-88a spotter, so I’m not afraid to drop coin, but Kowa is clearly the best spotter (for the money) and really not to many will argue with that, that was so much easier of a buy than the bino’s have been. Kowa is know for being on par with Swaro and Zeiss spotters all day everyday and for cheaper, but when it comes to bino’s that is a different story. each company puts there R&D, marketing and money into certain things, like Swaro is a awesome Spotting and bino company, but they are not a very good Gun scope company at all. But it is all about what is best for the money. Are the Kowa’s decent but just too heavy and just spend the extra coin on one of the two Zeiss, and if so the. Is the SF really that much better than the SFL’s. Is it hands down spend the extra $1k and you won’t regret it kind of thing? I know that’s what I did when I bought my tripod and head’s it was just drip the coin and buy know cry once! But that always doesn’t apply and the reason for this long winded request for some help to get me out of this rabbit hole. Thanks in advance 🙏👍🏻

Hello,

Have you tried any of the three? Personal preferences may truly rule. Remember most members have spent a fair some on each of them and their opinions are not necessarily congruent with your needs.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Look I know it’s been discussed, but I want to take a different approach.
I have been down in this rabbit hole for a while now and think I have narrowed it down to 3-4 Bino’s however I just keep going round and around with them all, the more I read.
First is the most $$$, with the Zeiss SF 8x42, which some say are the best of the best 8x out there and some say they could be better or you can do just as good for cheaper. Next is the Zeiss SFL 8x40, cheaper by almost $1k for what I can get of them for, so is the SF really worth $1k more? Or with it’s sometimes talked about Green hue vs the SFL more neutral one and lighter is it the way to go and at $1k less expensive? Then there is the Kowa Genesis 8x’s, yes I know are heavier (which is a big deal to a lot) but for what I can get them for at almost half the price of the SFL and almost a 1/4 of the price of the SF, at the end of the day am I going to be kicking myself 3-6mo down the road and seeking what I got to get one of the others (which I have done many times with Gun scopes). I own a Kowa TSN-88a spotter, so I’m not afraid to drop coin, but Kowa is clearly the best spotter (for the money) and really not to many will argue with that, that was so much easier of a buy than the bino’s have been. Kowa is know for being on par with Swaro and Zeiss spotters all day everyday and for cheaper, but when it comes to bino’s that is a different story. each company puts there R&D, marketing and money into certain things, like Swaro is a awesome Spotting and bino company, but they are not a very good Gun scope company at all. But it is all about what is best for the money. Are the Kowa’s decent but just too heavy and just spend the extra coin on one of the two Zeiss, and if so the. Is the SF really that much better than the SFL’s. Is it hands down spend the extra $1k and you won’t regret it kind of thing? I know that’s what I did when I bought my tripod and head’s it was just drip the coin and buy know cry once! But that always doesn’t apply and the reason for this long winded request for some help to get me out of this rabbit hole. Thanks in advance 🙏👍🏻
If you have the money and want the best, you spend the money and get an EL, SF, NL, or Noctivid and maybe the Ultravids, and you’ll probably never look back. If you want real good bins and want to save some money, then any one of the $1000 range bins will serve you well for just as long as the top of the line. The SFL is somewhere in the middle. Based on what you described about the rifle scopes, you sound like the kind of guy that will always be wondering if the grass is greener at the top of the hill.

Good luck
Paul

The SF are the brightest binoculars I have owned and looked through. A nice wide, bright, crisp view. That said, my Swaro 8.5 and the Leica Noctivid have a more relaxed and to my eyes pleasing overall view. Better color contrast and saturation with Swaro, Leica and Nikon for me. The Zeiss SF 8x42 are long, the longest 8x I am aware of in production. Might consider a 8x32 which are an inch shorter and still long for a 32 but more streamlined tubes.

If Noctivids had one more millimeter of eye relief I would have kept the,, same with the UVHD+, just needed a mm or two more of eye relief.

At some point we all reach saturation with what can be gleaned from the observations and impressions of others. When that happens there just is no substitute for actually handling and viewing through a few of the top candidates. Even though they are all first-rate, the top binocular brands all offer their own blend of features, handling and image characteristics. The viewing experience through a Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc will all be markedly different and only you can decide likes and dislikes. You also didn’t mention what they’d be used for and in what kind of environment.

You mentioned wanting to know the difference between the SF and SFL. Yes, the SFs offer a smidge crisper view and have a smoother focus mechanism than the SFL. The SFs are notably larger but very well balanced and feel light in the hand. However, the SFL is no slouch. I love its very easy and beautifully colored view and they are much more compact and lighter than the SFs. The 8x40 SFL is my go-to glass for the woods. The Kowa 8.5x44 offers very crisp views but to me they are a bit bulky and heavy with tight eye relief. I also own a 42mm NL Pure and many other binoculars that I enjoy very much.

As others have already said, an SF, SFL, Noctivid, or NL Pure would likely offer a lifetime of contented viewing pleasure. An important point to remember is there is no such thing as the “perfect binocular,” they are all a compromise of features, components and function to varying degrees.

At some point we all reach saturation with what can be gleaned from the observations and impressions of others. When that happens there just is no substitute for actually handling and viewing through a few of the top candidates. Even though they are all first-rate, the top binocular brands all offer their own blend of features, handling and image characteristics. The viewing experience through a Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc will all be markedly different and only you can decide likes and dislikes. You also didn’t mention what they’d be used for and in what kind of environment.

You mentioned wanting to know the difference between the SF and SFL. Yes, the SFs offer a smidge crisper view and have a smoother focus mechanism than the SFL. The SFs are notably larger but very well balanced and feel light in the hand. However, the SFL is no slouch. I love its very easy and beautifully colored view and they are much more compact and lighter than the SFs. The 8x40 SFL is my go-to glass for the woods. The Kowa 8.5x44 offers very crisp views but to me they are a bit bulky and heavy with tight eye relief. I also own a 42mm NL Pure and many other binoculars that I enjoy very much.

As others have already said, an SF, SFL, Noctivid, or NL Pure would likely offer a lifetime of contented viewing pleasure. An important point to remember is there is no such thing as the “perfect binocular,” they are all a compromise of features, components and function to varying degrees.
Awesome insight and exactly the kind of reply I’m looking for. And I completely agree and understand all your and others points. I have done the same with Gun scopes and what I’m used to.
Each company has their niche, and I did all the same things you and many others have done with Gun scopes, and then sold what I didn’t like. But it is a long process and somewhat cumbersome and time consuming. So I was just trying to trim the process down by using all your(s) knowledge and pretty much cut time and effort by cheating. But I will probably end up getting, a SFL, an SF and possible even a NL Pure to all compare and maybe even keep them all, who knows.
Thank you again for your knowledge.

While we’re on the subject, have any of you bought from Cameraland and/or Optics Force? I usually get a lot of my stuff from Eurooptics or a while ago Kenzie optics, but Kenzie has tightened up there pricing and only carries half the brands that Euro does. Cameraland and optics has been offering pretty decent pricing but I have never dealt with either.

I just bought a Zeiss SFL 8x40 and a Zeiss SF 10x42, we will see how these shake out and then will go from there, thanks for all the input and for all your input on other posts, I see a lot of common people on several of the posts giving the knowledge out. Thanks. BTW, these will be for Spotting Birds to digiscopping with the Kowa 88a and for just birding and wildlife while out and about everywhere.

After my experience with them, I would actually love if Sky Rover made sure that I get a good sample ….
Yes you are correct, the ball is in their court. Based on my experience with the exception of companies such as Nikon, Kowa, and Zeiss, the level of work required to accomplish consistent production of a prc binocular from an independent manufacturer is lacking IMHO.

Nikon HG in 8x42 or 8x30 are looking like a great value play. Can be had for around $700USD with some deal seeking.
I would possibly consider it, but made in China, I would consider the Kowa’s but they are not on the same level and weight more. Like everyone has said, there is no perfect bino’s, there is always some kind of negative you have to get past. Whatever the negative is, if it bothers you then you just move on, to the next one.

The more I use mid-priced binoculars($700 to $1000), the more I wonder why one needs anything else? It's still hard to beat a Monarch HG, or a Conquest HD, or a Kowa Genesis, or lately an Opticron Aurora. I've mostly used a Monarch HG, Genesis, or Aurora all Spring. Premium optics just aren't necessary for birding. It''s actually kind of eye-opening that those binoculars are as good as they are. I'll admit to having expensive taste, and that's okay. But I can tell you there has never been a bird I couldn't ID with one of the above that I COULD ID with one of the alphas. And not JUST ID a bird...these binoculars have a view that can only be bettered by something at least 2-3X more expensive.

SOMEONE has to play devil's advocate!

I would possibly consider it, but made in China, I would consider the Kowa’s but they are not on the same level and weight more. Like everyone has said, there is no perfect bino’s, there is always some kind of negative you have to get past. Whatever the negative is, if it bothers you then you just move on, to the next one.
Personally, I haven't seen a MIC MHG. Has anyone personally seen one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back