• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berlin, next week (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi,

I'm going to berlin 5 days next week. I would like to know if there is someplace nearby to watch birds that are difficult to see in Spain. Is there also any place good to watch migrating birds?

What about Great Bustards? (I know you can see them in Spain, but I would like to see them in Germany as well)

P.D. I'm planning to hire a car one day.

Thanks!!

It would help if you specified which birds that are - many of the birds that are considered "regional specialties" around Berlin (Bustard, Hoopoe, Crested Lark, ...) can be seen equally well, or better, in Spain, because of similar terrain. FWIW, I've seen Great Bustard in Castilla and León (from the train, no less), but not yet in Germany.

For Great Bustards, apparently the best spot is the Havelländisches Luch (especially Buckow near Nennhausen - there are several places called Buckow, so be careful you get the right one). This place, according to the description, is also good for a number of other species, including Grey Partridge, Ortolan, Barred Warbler, and numerous wetland species - if you want to know more details about the species and access, run the description through Google Translate, or ask here). Definitely worth checking out if you have the time. It's probably best to get a car, though, if you plan on going there.

As for other places, I've heard that the National Park "Unteres Odertal" (Lower Odra Valley) is also very good for species like Lesser Spotted Eagle, Black Stork, Black Tern, Corncrake, River Warbler, possibly still Aquatic Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher, etc. (see previous threads on Berlin).

Personally, I've been to the Döberitzer Heide this summer. This one is accessible via public transport (bus). Species I've seen there in one day include Barred Warbler, Hoopoe (probably less exciting for you, but in Germany, it's a huge rarity), a ridiculously large number of Red-backed Shrikes, Honey Buzzard, Osprey, Wryneck, Tree Pipit, Wheatear, Sand Lizard, and so on.

Berlin itself has urban Goshawks and a number of other interesting species.
N.b. - I'm not sure which of those species have already left for their wintering grounds. Rosefinches are definitely already on migration, for example.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Sangahyando!!

All the species you said are really interesting. As you said, hoopoe is a common bird for me, but the others are not.

Are there any hide to watch birds borh in Havelländisches Luch or the national Park? I would love to see, specially, Barred Warbler, Corncrake, River Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher and Roseficnhes.

Thank you very much Sangahyando!!

All the species you said are really interesting. As you said, hoopoe is a common bird for me, but the others are not.

Are there any hide to watch birds borh in Havelländisches Luch or the national Park? I would love to see, specially, Barred Warbler, Corncrake, River Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher and Roseficnhes.
I don't know much about those places, except what's in the literature. Havelländisches Luch has two hides near Buckow and Garlitz. There's also the Gülper See, which is said to be very interesting (see link below).

The species you named are said to be found chiefly in the Fiddichower Polder (near Schwedt) in the Unteres Odertal National Park. It's possible that not all of them are still present (see below).
The Schwedter Polder immediately south of that place should yield many of the same species.

For more links, check out this thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=287759

As for the birds, Rosefinches (Karmingimpel) are definitely already in India (or on the way down there) at this time of year, being early migrants (I also checked at a nearby patch a couple days ago, and they were nowhere to be seen). To see them, you'll have to visit in June or July, maybe early August. River Warbler (Schlagschwirl) has probably already left, too.
Black Stork (Schwarzstorch), Lesser Spotted Eagle (Schreiadler), Corncrake (Wachtelkönig), Barred Warbler (Sperbergrasmücke) and Red-breasted Flycatcher (Zwergschnäpper) may still be around for a few days.
There's also other species I forgot to mention because I've become so used to them, specifically Common Crane (Kranich) and White-tailed Eagle (Seeadler). They're definitely still around. Also, there's probably many species of shorebirds, ducks, and geese around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back