• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belek Turkey (1 Viewer)

stu

Hi
I am going to Belek for a few weeks next july and want to get some birding in and would welcome any advice for this area....what to see and the best locations etc..

thanks

Stu

Hi Stu,

I might be able to help if you can let me know which part of Turkey Belek is in. Having said that, it'll probably be pretty good because Turkey's a terrific country for birds.

Hi Andrew
I wonder if you might be of help too me also. I am also going too Turkey next year, Icmeler near Marmaris. Any advice on this area would be more than welcome.
THANKS
JD

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi Stu,

I might be able to help if you can let me know which part of Turkey Belek is in. Having said that, it'll probably be pretty good because Turkey's a terrific country for birds.

Hi Andrew
Thanks for your reply.....Belek is on the Mediterranean coast in the Antayla region.
cheers Stu.

Hi Stu and JD

I did some birding around Antalya and saw quite a few migrants, although I guess these aren't so likely in summer. You should find a good crop of Mediterranean species fairly easily e.g. Ruppell's Warbler, Cretzchmar's Bunting, Short-toed Eagle, Long-legged Buzzard, Woodchat and Masked Shrikes, Red-rumped Swallow and many others. The area around Dalyan is good for these species and also holds various water birds such as herons and terns. Kruper's Nuthatch should be found in any extensive areas of pine forest. Further north, Bafa Golu is a very good wetland, although it can be hard to work. There are good numbers of both pelicans in this area as well as many other wetland species. If you go to Ephesus, there is (or was) a very nice and easily worked wetland between the ruins and the coast. It can be viewed from the road. As with all such places it'll be better in the migration seasons but should still be interesting in summer. I haven't visited areas inland of here but Akseki, a site for Olive-tree Warbler and White-backed Woodpecker, is not far from Antalya. The Turkish 'lake district' is also supposed to be good. If you have time for longer excursions then the magnificent Goksu Delta at Silifke is well worth going to, as are the Taurus Mountains. These would produce a lot more Turkish upland and wetland specialities.

There have been quite a few threads and reports on BF on birding in Turkey so I'd recommend doind a search. There are also plenty of others who've visited the country who might provide further information. Have a good trip.

JD47

We stayed in Marmaris some years ago and visited Icemelar. It is quite built up but there is a valley behind where we had Black Stork, Black-headed Bunting and Ruppels Warbler.

If you can travel I'd recommend a visit to the Dalyan area (1 hour by car, longer by boat!) where you will get a much better variety of birds including resonable chance of Krupers Nuthatch and Masked Shrike in the woods as well as wetland birds and raptors - see the many reports available on the "net" for more details.

Depending on the time of year there is also a good chance of Pygmy Cormorant on Lake Koycegiz, White-tailed Sea Eagle and the hills near Mugla, a couple of hours away hold White-throated Robin.

JD47 said:
Hi Andrew
I wonder if you might be of help too me also. I am also going too Turkey next year, Icmeler near Marmaris. Any advice on this area would be more than welcome.
THANKS
JD

HI JD

I went to Icmeler on a family holiday three years ago in September. Marmaris itself is a bit of a dump but Icmeler is very pleasant. Walking in the area behind the tourist village (near the real village) I saw Krüper's Nuthatch daily, Rüppell's Warbler (on the first couple of days only), Subalpine, Easter Orphean Warblers, Bee-eaters, Blue Rock Thrush, Red-backed Shrike (very common but may have been on passage) and a more besides. If you go on any excursions to historical sites (such as Ephesus) then you are bound to see Rock Nuthatch and I also saw Masked Shrike here. At the famed tourist site of Pamukkale there were Finsch's Wheatears.

As Rob says get out towards Dalyan if you can. I didn't allow enough time there but it looks a great area.

Sorry Stu, no info in Belek but Turkey is a superb country. Enjoy.

E

Edward's description of Marmaris is pretty spot on - we went for three weeks and having visited Dalyan for the day packed our bags and moved to Dalyan (accomodation is very cheap!) returning to Marmaris for the last couple of days to check our flight and tranfer times.

Having said that, Edward is right about passage - we were there late in May and still had the likes of Lesser Grey Shrike, egrets and some raptors moving through.

The locals are very friendly, food and drink cheap and the birding can be great - let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone for the info, really looking forward to the holiday, especially Dalyan. Hopefully should get a few lifers.
THANKS AGAIN
JD47

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back