• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner needs help (1 Viewer)

jose

Alledged user
I have been finding a great variety of fungi and I am getting very curious. Can someone help me?
what guide should i get? where can i get more information? is there anything i should be careful about when studying these fungi? no, i do not intend to eat them.

Best regards
Jose

By far the best ids the Roger Philips guide called Mushrooms by Pan Books

The Mycologists photographic guide,

CJ

I agree, Roger Phillips is the very best, but it is not field friendly
(unless you have poachers pockets!) I find that collins gem Mushroom and Toadstools is a good pocket book to carry around, it is not comprehensive but will help ident up to 250 species.

Regards rog8811

i am going to get the smaller version of these guides. i think i will try to learn the basics first and then move on from there.
thank you for your help
:t:

jose said:
i am going to get the smaller version of these guides. i think i will try to learn the basics first and then move on from there.
thank you for your help
:t:

I agree that Phillips is the best general guide. Mushrooms and other fungi by Geoffrey Kibby is also excellent. There is a pocket version available. It has less species than Phillips.

BTW You might find that you get home with a pile of battered fungi and cannot decide which species is which. Many fungi are associated with specific trees, or substrates. So it can help if at the time of collection you put a couple of fruiting bodies in a sealed plastic container with a note indicating nearby trees and any other useful information. I use old Ras Malai containers. (An Indian sweet!) Another advantage of using a container is that specimens are protected from damage in transit. Several species can go in one container as long as they are quite distinct and the note make it clear which is which.

Useful information to note at the time of collection includes smell, flesh colour, flesh colour changes, whether or not the cap skin (cuticle) peels and so on. Don't worry if you cannot identify many.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back