• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginner at Waldridge (1 Viewer)

Russ_H

Hello All,

I've just made a start at birdwatching. I live in Chester-le-Street, so Waldridge Fell is just up the road.

It's all very frustrating for a new starter, as I could hear birds everywhere, but could not see them.
Eventually, I managed to spot a skylark and a linnet.

One cooperative bird perched on a high branch on a dead tree, so I got a reasonable look at it with my
binoculars. It was distinctly green in colour,and the area below its bill was creamy. I've had a look in a
fieldguide, and the willow warbler looks pretty similar, but the bird I saw seemed to be greener. Any
suggestions?

Regards,

Russ

Hi Russ,
Yes birding can be frustrating at times. I'm guessing your bird was probably a Willow Warbler which are very common but don't let birds you can't identify put you off as not every bird you see will look like the ones in the fieldguides. At this time of year you also have the added complication of young birds which don't always look like their parents!
If I could offer you some advice I would get out birding as often as possible, learn the calls & songs of the more common species and don't worry about birds you can't identify, these will come with experience.
Waldridge Fell and the adjoining Daisy Hill Nature Reserve are excellent areas, you certainly won't be short of birds to look at.
Good luck :t:

Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get out as much as I can over the next few weeks

It may be a bit ambitious , but I would love to see an owl. I know there are several
species. Is there anywhere in the north east where there would be a chance of a sighting?

Regards,

Russ

Russ, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to Owl's.
There are well known pairs of Little Owl in Trow & Marsden Quarry's but, to a beginner at least, the other four species can seem difficult to see on a regular basis.
Suffice to say a visit to an area of appropriate habitat at the right time of day will obviously increase your chances, but precise locations are not usually disclosed to avoid excessive disturbance etc.
I suggest you follow the Durham & South Tyneside threads and perhaps send a private message to Owl photographers who may wish to share more information of their sightings with you.
Enjoy your birding.

Hello All,

I've just made a start at birdwatching. I live in Chester-le-Street, so Waldridge Fell is just up the road.

It's all very frustrating for a new starter, as I could hear birds everywhere, but could not see them.
Eventually, I managed to spot a skylark and a linnet.

One cooperative bird perched on a high branch on a dead tree, so I got a reasonable look at it with my
binoculars. It was distinctly green in colour,and the area below its bill was creamy. I've had a look in a
fieldguide, and the willow warbler looks pretty similar, but the bird I saw seemed to be greener. Any
suggestions?

Regards,

Russ

Russ

Welcome to the site. I frequently wander around Waldridge fell and Daisy Hill so I will watch out for you. I guess you will be the one with Binoculars and not letting his dogs run around wild causing bother to the ground nesting Birds.

Both Waldridge and Daisy Hill are exellent for Birds but as you say the problem is you hear a lot of Birds but often do not see them, mainly due to the cover they have from the trees. However as Neil has said get out as often as you can you will slowly start to recognise them. If you go often enough you will know what to expect to see in particular parts of the fells. In the last month on the Fell I've seen Cukoo, Green Woodpecker, Sedge Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler. Goldcrest. Very common at the moment are Willow Warblers,Chiff Chaff, Whitethroats, Reed Buntings,Yellowhammers and Meadow Pipits. You should start to see the Meadow Pipits and yellowhammers as soon as you get on the fell right next to the car park The rest are nearer the woodlands further down the fell.I can't help with Owls I'm sure there are plenty around But I see very few most probably because I'm out at the wrong time of day, as neil has also said keep your eyes peeled on this and the exellent (Although somewhat nutty) South Tyneside threads. Enjoy your watching there is never a dull day with Birds around.|;|

Paul

Hi Russ,
Yes, birding can seem an uphill struggle identifying everything you see but it's fun :t: I remember when I first started properly in 1984 and visited my local nature reserve, Wallsend Swallow Ponds. I was drawing everything I saw *not very well but enough to id it from a basic field guide* and still remember what I saw......pochard, great crested grebe, teal and little grebe :-O

Perhaps get in touch with your local bird club - Durham Bird Club - as I'm sure there'll be loads of friendly members there who'll be able to guide you in the right direction :t: It's amazing just how quickly you pick things up when you have folk to help you and show you the differences and points to look out for :king: We were ALL beginners once ;)

http://www.durhambirdclub.org/dbc.pl

Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get out as much as I can over the next few weeks

It may be a bit ambitious , but I would love to see an owl. I know there are several
species. Is there anywhere in the north east where there would be a chance of a sighting?

Regards,

Russ

Hi Russ
you dont need go far from Chester to get a look at 4 of the 5 owls
(this is a local patch section after all !)
& June is the best month of the year to see them, as they are busy feeding young.

Good populations of Tawny occur along the Cong Burn & Sacriston Woods
Little Owls can be found along several of the country lanes - try Plawsworth, Holmside, Pelton
This is currently a very good time to see Long-eared Owl, as they hunt in the evening sunshine to feed young, some of the plantations / thickets around Burnhope / Craghead hold them.
Barn Owl is also a Ch-le-Street resident, they have been noted at Coll'y Wood, Chester Moor & around the A167 / Plawsworth area.

Waldridge Fell area at dusk is a good bet for Woodcock

good luck
Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back