• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Been to Cyprus recently? (2 Viewers)

Dawn Balmer

I'm off to Cyprus on Wednesday and wondered if anyone had just returned? What's about? What are the water levels like?

Any news much appreciated.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer

Dawn Balmer said:
I'm off to Cyprus on Wednesday and wondered if anyone had just returned? What's about? What are the water levels like?

Any news much appreciated.

Best wishes
Dawn Balmer

I had a great visit to Cyprus during the last week of March. The weather was warm and sunny every day, initially the winds were in the north and west but by the end of the week they swung round to the south. The are two pools at Aspro Dam (well worth a visit early morning - the site does get a bit disturbed by birdwatchers wondering around) and quite a lot of water at Phassouri Reedbeds. We tried to get to Akrotiri Reedbeds but the tracks were flooded. Up in the Troodos there was still a bit of snow lying. There is no water in Kiti Dam. Evertou Dam has a good amount of water but plenty of muddy edges. Polis reedbed doesn't seem to exist anymore - at least we couldn't find it!

I used the Graham Hearl and Arthur Stagg book and on the whole it was excellent. It's worth taking at least one, if not two, good road maps - as recent as you can get them. We used the Rough Guide Road map and it was okay the roads are a little confusing in places. The difficulty is that there is so much change going on - new roads cropping up here and there.

We visited the usual sites - Paphos headland (very overgrown but still producing some good birds), Cape Drepanum (excellent site), Aspro Dams, Dhazrios Valley (Bonelli's Eagle just north of Kedares), Akriotiri Salt Lake, Ladies Mile, Zakaki Marsh (good site), Larnana Sewage Works (well worth a visit), Kiti Lighthouse, Baths of Aphrodites etc. We discovered Mandria a bit late on but really liked it. Go to the village (well signposted off the main road) and then head to the beach. Once at the beach, head west and you'll come to a lovely patch of flowery grass - excellent for larks, pipits and wagtails.

Do get in touch if there is anything specific you want to know.

Best wishes
Dawn

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back