• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee-eaters in Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

Maljunulo

I wonder who will be the first to post these gorgeous birds in our “What did you see …… today?” thread.

Such beauty, I envy those who live where these birds can be seen. They must be absolutely breath-taking in life.

(when observed through binoculars of appropriate quality, of course)

Last edited:
I think bee-eaters are some of the most extraordinary birds, but what many accounts fail to convey is "the magic" when you discover them, which is (99 % of the time) by hearing them first. It's not only a bird you enjoy in awe due to their amazing plummage, but also that you enjoy with your eyes closed while you smile in wonder.

They make a "bubble-like" sound, a soft muted blu-blu-blu-blu-blu sound that, as a friend of mine says, "massages your ears". I must add that I find bee-eaters possess an impossible to describe sense of "un-reality": they're so colourful, they fly like angels making this dream-like sound that you would be led to believe that they're spiritual creatures instead of flesh and blood animals. They're that special. When you hear their distant call and you look above... it sometimes takes time to locate them, but it's always rewarding and gives you a moment of peace in the middle of our stressed life. It's one of those birds that allows you to dream with your eyes open wide. I hope you can enjoy them one day because they are indeed breathtaking.

We have some nesting couples around here in the island of Ibiza. This picture is from early may, when the sky is full of their music.

BeeeatersIbiza.jpeg

Bee-eaters have nested in disused brown coal mining pits near Cologne (51° N) but suffered some disturbances from illegal moto-cross riders.
Yesterday evening, while watching the Swifts from my balcony I speculated whether, with progressing global warming, Alpine Swifts might one day be seen in these climes.
They, together with White-throated needletails (allegedly the world's fastest bird in level flight) in Tasmania are the most impressive fliers I have seen.

John

I think bee-eaters are some of the most extraordinary birds, but what many accounts fail to convey is "the magic" when you discover them, which is (99 % of the time) by hearing them first. It's not only a bird you enjoy in awe due to their amazing plummage, but also that you enjoy with your eyes closed while you smile in wonder.

They make a "bubble-like" sound, a soft muted blu-blu-blu-blu-blu sound that, as a friend of mine says, "massages your ears". I must add that I find bee-eaters possess an impossible to describe sense of "un-reality": they're so colourful, they fly like angels making this dream-like sound that you would be led to believe that they're spiritual creatures instead of flesh and blood animals. They're that special. When you hear their distant call and you look above... it sometimes takes time to locate them, but it's always rewarding and gives you a moment of peace in the middle of our stressed life. It's one of those birds that allows you to dream with your eyes open wide. I hope you can enjoy them one day because they are indeed breathtaking.

We have some nesting couples around here in the island of Ibiza. This picture is from early may, when the sky is full of their music.

View attachment 1452641
What an incredibly beautiful and moving description of an encounter with a bird species that I enjoyed and made me smile. One of the best posts I have read on BF in some time. Keep it up.

If it hadn't been for the sounds they make which @yarrellii describes so vividly in his post, I would never have become aware of them. I saw them in North-East Germany 3 years ago. I didn't expect to spot a species I thought to be indigenous to more southerly climes and not 54° North! A few were sitting on a powerline and others I watched were flying to and from their nesting tunnels. I was not geared up for birds in flight photography but here's a record shot I want to share with you. I particularly like their underparts with the lovely colour gradient. I wonder how far North they can be seen?K1_22099.jpg

Last edited:

A wonderful and evocative description of a species we came to love during our visits to the Languedoc a few years ago.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back