• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee-eater confusion (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just going through some familiarisation before a trip to Ghana and I come to Merops viridissimus, split from M. orientalis.

My edition of the birds of Ghana, pre-dates this split however, neither viridissimus or orientalis are in the book, just M. pusillus however, both virisissimus and pusillus are on my list from Scythebill.

I'm sure it's simple but just can't get my head around it so can someone tell me the story here, which is which in Ghana!

My Birds of Ghana (2nd ed) shows pusillus (Little B) and orientalis (Little green B.). The second have been split so orientalis belongs with Asian Green Bee-eater - BirdForum Opus and the African form of it is now African Green Bee-eater - BirdForum Opus
Of course, there are also other bee-eaters in Ghana.
Niels

Edit: A third section of the Little Green B became Arabian ....
Niels, as I said, my book (Borrow and Demey Helm) predates the split but does not show orientalis only pusillus?

Just bought the 2nd ed, there is other stuff that's been split too so it's worth having, not having been in the market recently, I hadn't been aware of the update.

If anyone is aware of any splits other than these, please let me know.

Melancholy Woodpecker Dendropicos lugubris from Gabon Woodpecker
Blue-moustached Bee-eater
Merops mentalis from Blue-headed Bee-eater
Fanti Drongo
Dicrurus atactus from Velvet-mantled Drongo
Red-chested Goshawk
Accipiter toussenelii from African Goshawk
Bioko Batis
Batis poensis now an endemic of Bioko Island with the name Fernando Pó Batis which will leave West African Batis Batis occulta on the mainland

The confusion is that [African] Green Bee-eater is a rarity in Ghana (and noted as such in Scythebill), and you should not expect to see it there. So there's every reason to think the book either the book didn't bother to depict it or the first record happened since the 1st edition.

Just bought the 2nd ed, there is other stuff that's been split too so it's worth having, not having been in the market recently, I hadn't been aware of the update.

If anyone is aware of any splits other than these, please let me know.

Melancholy Woodpecker Dendropicos lugubris from Gabon Woodpecker
Blue-moustached Bee-eater
Merops mentalis from Blue-headed Bee-eater
Fanti Drongo
Dicrurus atactus from Velvet-mantled Drongo
Red-chested Goshawk
Accipiter toussenelii from African Goshawk
Bioko Batis
Batis poensis now an endemic of Bioko Island with the name Fernando Pó Batis which will leave West African Batis Batis occulta on the mainland
Fanti is back with Velvet-mantled though (both IOC & eBird/Clements) and toussenelii with African Goshawk (only eBird/Clements yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back