• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat Book (1 Viewer)

Hi Martin,
I think my wife has just such a book, I'll have a look when I get home (I'm in work at the moment).
From what i remember though, you would need to have the bats in the hand to get conclusive i.d. features on some of them. Identifying them from the sounds produced by 'bat detectors' is a notoriously unreliable method. You also have to be licenced to handle them.

I'm sure the Bat Conservation Trust would be able to help with ID books/booklets.
www.bats.org.uk

Also, the Mammal Society publish very good booklets on most UK mammal species. I recently got a copy of "The Identification of British Bats" by D. W. Yalden for only £2.50.
They also do "A Guide To British Bats" by Kate Jones and Allyson Walsh...also £2.50! This one is a laminated guide which covers the ID of all British species in flight and in the hand and has colour photos, flight path diagrams and sonogram charts.
www.abdn.ac.uk/mammal

Both are well worth getting, and won't break the bank!, but I have found the best way to get to know bat ID is to go out with an expert on a bat walk or get involved with a local bat group(Bat Conservation Trust will probably give you the address of your nearest)...at least then you can actually get up close to the various species. I always remember seeing my first Noctule in the hand....I just wanted to take her home!!!
Hope the booklets above are of some use...i'm sure there are loads more books available which other members of BF will come up with for you!

Thanks people for the advice. Ive sent off for a copy of "The Identification of British Bats". Ill go out with a bat group next year as my local one has finished its avents for this year. I brought this up as when I was at my local patch the other night there was alot of bat activity and I wondered what species they were and realised I see alot of bats but dont know how to id them.

Cheers Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back