• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basel, Zurich Jul-Aug (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

I am planning a trip to Zurich and Basel for the end of July - beginning of August. Have 3-4 days for birding. Could anyone recommend any good places around these cities, in between or not very far away?

I am mostly interested in mountain birds and birds that I can't see around Moscow.

My wish list consists of 23 species:). Don't bother to comment each:), I'd be very happy just to know a few places where I can see most of them!

Here they are
Ptarmigan
Rock Partridge
Stone Curlew
Rock Dove (a real one)
Barn Owl
Scops Owl
Alpine Swift
Crag Martin
Water Pipit
Grey Wagtail
Alpine Accentor
Blue Rock Thrush
Rock Thrush
Ring Ouzel
Bonelli's Warbler
Firecrest
Wallcreeper
Woodchat Shrike
Alpine Chough
Snowfinch
Citril Finch
Cirl Bunting
Rock Bunting

Is there anything in this list that is not possible in the area this time of year?

Thank you a lot in advance!
Aleksey

Hi Aleksey

Here are my comments to your wishlist:

• Ptarmigan: Difficult. You need to get high up and have some luck
  • Rock Partridge: Very difficult. The best places are quite far from both cities.
  • Stone Curlew: does not breed in Switzerland. There is a very small population north of Basel in France, but I don't know exactly where and I guess it's to late in the season to see them
  • Rock Dove (a real one): we don't have real ones in Switzerland
  • Barn Owl: Difficult. They are not easy to see at this time of year.
  • Scops Owl: very rare, only possible in Ticino and Valais, quite far from both cities
  • Alpine Swift: no problem. They breed in both cities and are easy to see during a stroll eg in the old town of Zürich
  • Crag Martin: Usually no problem in the Alps.
  • Water Pipit: Very common on alpine meadows.
  • Grey Wagtail: Common on streams and small streams even just around Zürich and Basel
  • Alpine Accentor: Some good places and should be easy to find
  • Blue Rock Thrush: Difficult. Does only occur in the Ticino or in one place in the Valais. If you go this far I can give you the exact spots.
  • Rock Thrush: Hard to find. Most easy in the Bannwald, Leukerfeld (see Opus article)
  • Ring Ouzel: Not easy but doable. Usually not near touristic places and needs some walking
  • Bonelli's Warbler: Some places in the Alps and Jura mountains, but not the best time of year for them.
  • Firecrest: Easy to hear in every pine forest in Switzerland. Harder to see but possible.
  • Wallcreeper: The best place is near Leuk. See the Opus article
  • Woodchat Shrike: Almost extinct in Switzerland. There is at least one breeding near Basel, but I don't know the exact location.
  • Alpine Chough: Easy everywhere in the Alps. They come to your hand at any touristic spot.
  • Snowfinch: Harder, but the Schilthorn is a good spot for them. High up at this time of year.
  • Citril Finch: Best to find around the treelline in early morning
  • Cirl Bunting: Difficult. I can pm you one spot near Zürich in a vineyard
  • Rock Bunting: Easiest around Leukerfeld (see Opus article)

The mountains are south of both cities (and not in between them). So you need to travel to the mountains for most birds. If you take one day from one of the cities you're up in the mountains quite late, usually to late for most of the birds. So it's advisable to go for two or better three days to the mountains.
Some species like Wallcreeper, Rock Bunting, Crag Martin, Water Pipit etc. can be seen around Leuk and Leukerbad. With the train you need about 2.5 hrs from Basel or Zürich to Leuk.
Another good mountain spot is the Schilthorn in the Berner Oberland (see here: Schilthorn). It's known from a James Bond movie;). It's an excellent place for Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor and Lammergeier.
The Pilatus mountain is another place in easy reach from Zürich. Snowfinch, Alpine Accentor and of course Alpine Chough are possible here.

I will be in Scotland from the 29th of July, but if you like we can go birding together before that and search for some of the species you mention.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back