• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barbour beaufort (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure which Barbour I've got - they last for ever, but I keep mine waxed and it has never let a drop of water through. It is one of my favourite jackets, however,...

.... I generally do not use mine with a backpack as it is a very heavy jacket and something more lightweight, flexible and breathable, I find, is more comfortable for an active day with a pack such as hill walking, you get great views of birds of prey from above.

Personally I use mainly a slightly oversize Barbour over really thick wool sweaters when I am in really foul weather and spending a lot of time standing around with no shelter, sitting in ditches/hedgerows or driving open vehicles in blizzards etc.

With respect to the pack causing rubbing damage, I would expect there to be a potential for visible marking, but a lot depends on how well fitting your pack is, and a number of other factors. By now there is no way you could describe my jacket as a fashion statement.

For really active days with a pack I use a Gortex shell from Berghaus with zipped in insulation that I personally find is more comfortable for that use as it is more flexible and lighter in weight. I have never owned a lightweight Barbour.

Realistically, it is a bit like boots, I am unaware of any one design that covers all conditions and terrains, so for safety and comfort you need to purchase what works best for your particular use.

Remember, there were versions of the Barbour jacket used by the UK parachute regiment in the Faulklands war and they certainly used backpacks!

One final safety warning for all low visibility and camo clothing, if you are in difficult terrain, please take something with you that can be seen if you need rescuing along with your whistle, map, gps, fully charged phone/radio and torch.

Last edited:
Anyone using this coat. And i want to carry a backpack on it but i think the material of the coat is not very resistant ?

I had a Beaufort in brown for about twenty years, kept it well waxed and it served me extremely well. I never had a problem with wearing a light rucksack. I wore it in all seasons and most weathers. Towards the end of its life it wasn´t as water-resistant as before, but in Ireland nothing is really waterproof, except houses, and even these have their limitations;). It eventually fell to pieces from over-wear. I´ve got a light Berghaus and a Keela Falklands now, but neither have the same "second-skin" feel that a well-worn Barbour gives. The Barbours don´t seem as popular here as before, I suppose they were overtaken by more modern technology in rainproofing, or maybe their association with the horsey-set puts people off. If you get one, lose the pin-badge! BTW, the Barbour Sapper jacket looks good too, but may give the impression that you´re about to invade someplace.

Last edited:
Just checked my jacket - its a Border, not the Beaufort. Comparable in price, but longer and a slightly less refined fabric. The length does help to keep more of you dry. It must be about 10 years old now and shows no signs of wear at all - however it isn't exactly pretty anymore.
It was originally bought to replace a real heavyweight wax jacket of truly disgusting condition, many decades old, to take on the horizontal hail during a sentimental journey back to the Western Isles of Scotland one summer.
The Beaufort fabric sounds as if it is less waxy to the feel and probably better to hang with other clothes. If I ever need to replace the Border I might be tempted to look at the Beaufort, but I suspect it may well last longer than me!
I would say try one on before parting with your money, they are very different to modern lightweight shells, but are excellently made and quite addictive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back