• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&B in Suffolk, near Minsmere (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
Can anyone recommend a good B&B in Suffolk, with en suite. My wife wants to visit and I'll be birding. Any help apprecaited. Thanks.

Phil

Phil,

The Minsmere area isn;t overflowing with accommodation! The B&B we used to go to became a private house. Whenever we get down that way, we always try to stay at The Crown at Westleton - super hotel, real ale, lovely restaurant and breakfast. Might be a bit pricey, but worth a treat!

Liz

hampers said:
Can anyone recommend a good B&B in Suffolk, with en suite. My wife wants to visit and I'll be birding. Any help apprecaited. Thanks.

Phil

B&B near Minsmere

We have stayed at a lovely B&B in Kelsale, near Saxmundham. Our room was en-suite, very friendly couple and fab breakfast. Called 'Touchwood' joandroger 'at' tiscali.co.uk

hampers said:

Phil

The Eel's Foot pub is 400yds from the entrance to Minsmere and has had a new accommodation block built with 6 rooms (and very nice they are too). A great pint of Adnams too.

hornet said:
The Eel's Foot pub is 400yds from the entrance to Minsmere and has had a new accommodation block built with 6 rooms (and very nice they are too). A great pint of Adnams too.

Seconded very nice and I understand it is a reasonable price.

hornet said:

Totally agree about the food and the beer but keep an eye on your food bill 'mistakes' occur apparently (3 times out of 3 as far as I was concerned, bit too much for coincidence).

Have a great time at minsmere.

Nick

Has the Eel's Foot changed hands?
The last time I was down that way in the late 90's I went to the Eel's Foot for lunch and got a very sniffy reception. The place was full of suits and frocks, I had the sense of being as welcome as a f**t in a spacesuit, although the food was good.

Keith Dickinson said:
Has the Eel's Foot changed hands?
The last time I was down that way in the late 90's I went to the Eel's Foot for lunch and got a very sniffy reception. The place was full of suits and frocks, I had the sense of being as welcome as a f**t in a spacesuit, although the food was good.

I'm pretty sure that the current landlord and his family haven't been there since the late 90s, so it probably has changed since you last visited.

It really doesn't sound like the place I know. It's got a real 'local' feel about it, a proper pub, and certainly not sniffy - they actively welcome birders in my experience. Never seen a suit anywhere near the place.

hornet said:
I'm pretty sure that the current landlord and his family haven't been there since the late 90s, so it probably has changed since you last visited.

It really doesn't sound like the place I know. It's got a real 'local' feel about it, a proper pub, and certainly not sniffy - they actively welcome birders in my experience. Never seen a suit anywhere near the place.

Was there in June this year and would definitely recommend it. Very friendly and excellent food and drink.

Joan and Roger are still there at Touchwood. Their name was given to us by another b and b lady. Really friendly people, marvellous cooked breakfast each morning. Roger suggested the White Horse at Baddingham for an evening meal, which was excellent. And on the way home from that we spotted 3 little owls flying about and perched.

We are going back to stay with them later this year. Errm, that is Roger and Joan, not the 3 little owls!

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back