• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2022 (1 Viewer)

Aaah!!!! Thanks Euan... I was wondering about that the other day.

Really enjoyed Winterwatch last night mist admit I liked having 2 presenters in one location other then scatter them around . Though I think it’s time they try somewhere different for Winterwatch and not just stick to Norfolk and Mull.

Really enjoyed Winterwatch last night mist admit I liked having 2 presenters in one location other then scatter them around . Though I think it’s time they try somewhere different for Winterwatch and not just stick to Norfolk and Mull.
Did you mean to post this here Euan ? Winterwatch ? Mull ?

Can anyone explain why those trapped edible dormice were being released back into the wild ? An introduced species starting to expand dramatically and having a detrimental effect on native wildlife ,as explained in the programme . Should be culled, surely ?

Can anyone explain why those trapped edible dormice were being released back into the wild ? An introduced species starting to expand dramatically and having a detrimental effect on native wildlife ,as explained in the programme . Should be culled, surely ?
Falls under the European dormouse directive - all dormice of all species are protected. You'd need legal expertise to determine what trumps what. In Britain we already have a situation where one county kills them and the next-door one puts up nestboxes.

John

Falls under the European dormouse directive - all dormice of all species are protected. You'd need legal expertise to determine what trumps what. In Britain we already have a situation where one county kills them and the next-door one puts up nestboxes.

John
But they are an introduced species here ( of course , you’ll know that ) so that directive should be subject to not destroying native species ? I see that they can be quite legally destroyed as pests by licensed operatives .

But they are an introduced species here ( of course , you’ll know that ) so that directive should be subject to not destroying native species ? I see that they can be quite legally destroyed as pests by licensed operatives .
Poor drafting maybe. I believe in Eastern Europe they are still on the menu as well. Maybe we should be exporting them frozen.

John

Enjoyed the show last night. Great footage of the Goshawk with Buzzard & the Nigma spiders.

The Edible Dormice are a half hour walk from home for me & saw them with Sean & various others early last month.

I do wonder how much damage they really do with native birds & bats given most of the species here also occur in the native range of Edible Dormice? Maybe they'll raid the nests of the abundant Ring-necked Parakeets that are here & which the local breeding Peregrines find a tasty delicacy?

Enjoyed the show last night. Great footage of the Goshawk with Buzzard & the Nigma spiders.

The Edible Dormice are a half hour walk from home for me & saw them with Sean & various others early last month.

I do wonder how much damage they really do with native birds & bats given most of the species here also occur in the native range of Edible Dormice? Maybe they'll raid the nests of the abundant Ring-necked Parakeets that are here & which the local breeding Peregrines find a tasty delicacy?
I wonder also how their damage compares with either Grey or Red Squirrels, both of which are also nest robbers (and forestry damagers), or Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

John

Agreed! They seem to make Grey Squirrel look docile.

I wonder also how their damage compares with either Grey or Red Squirrels, both of which are also nest robbers (and forestry damagers), or Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

John

Was the figure 50% in that particular area? That from one species is a huge loss. I don't think Grey Squirrels seem to be that bad.

Was the figure 50% in that particular area? That from one species is a huge loss. I don't think Grey Squirrels seem to be that bad.
Would be interesting to see any BBS data from the area to see if there is a real decline in certain species in the core area of Glis.

I’m wary now of any figures emanating from Autumn/Winter/Spring/Summer Watch since their suggestion the total area of all UK home gardens was greater than our National Parks/Wild Places combined.

LGM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back