• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austria this summer & hope to see some birds (1 Viewer)

moose1991

Alces alces
For our family camping holiday this year we are hoping to go to Austria.
Looking at a campsite at Zell am See.
Planning to visit Krimml Wasserfall , Sigmund Thun Klamm , the Kaprun Reservoirs & the Kitzlochklamm amongst other places.
It would be a family holiday not a pure birding holiday but it'd still be nice to keep my eye out.
Are these good places to go to see Wallcreeper ?
I'd also like to see Nutcracker .
Any hints would be welcome.
Cheers.

Planning to visit Krimml Wasserfall , Sigmund Thun Klamm , the Kaprun Reservoirs & the Kitzlochklamm amongst other places.
It would be a family holiday not a pure birding holiday but it'd still be nice to keep my eye out.
Cheers.

Zell am See is brilliant for a family holiday. Not too far away should be some Citril Finch sites. If you go to the BirdLife Austria website, English version, you should find a contact e-mail for enquiries.
MJB

Moose,

From Zell am See you can easily do the Grossglockner, no only is it amazing it is good for Ptarmigan, Snow Finch, Rock Thrush, Citril Finch, Alpine Swift, Crossbill and many others.

regards

Merlin

Cheers.

Nuthatch should be dead easy - just head up for the tree-line anywhere in the area and listen for them calling. Großglickner should be a good bet for them.

Most of our wallcreepers seem to breed in June, so checking any narrow gorges or wet-waterfally cliffs is a good place to start. Unfortunately, I do not know the area, but maybe google earth and asking around in the area will help you find possible areas. Once you are in the right habitat, it just takes patience and luck. They are typically silent and surprisingly easy to overlook.
From the photos I could find online, the Sigmund Thun Klamm looks ideal for them so I wish you luck :t:

If you want to be sure of Bonelli's Warbler, you are going to want to find a sunny south facing slope dominated by fur/pine trees (as opposed to Spruce).

Happy birding,
Dale

Hello,

not far from Zell am See is located valley Kruml Tal near Rauris, which is in the late summer a top place for Barded Vulture and Gansegeier.
Of course also for Golden Eagle.
Krumltal should be also possible for Wallcreeper.
But I have been 3 x there, and so never this bird there.

I saw only 3 ( twice in Dolimites - Schlern, once in Tirol ) in my life even though I am almost every weekend in the mountains in the last 5 years.

Early in the summer, best ask
[email protected]

Buy the way, if there is bad weather in this area, ask for weather in East Tirol.
You have to drive through Felber Tauern Tunnel ( 10 Euro one direction ).
Very unspoilt area, I prefer valley Defereggental.
There is also National Park Hohe Tauern ( it belongs to 3 federal countries, Salzburger Land, Osttirol, Kaernten ).

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back