• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona birding (1 Viewer)

Casperv19

United States
I live in Ohio. Planning a trip to AZ. Not sure yet if staying in the Peoria area with friends or Williams area hotel. Will be visiting the grand canyon. Other visiting places TBD.

Options for end of August and middle of October.

When would be a better time for birding in AZ? August or October?

August is during the migration back south for a lot of birds so would recommend then instead of October, and agree with Niels about SE Arizona.

I've only been to southeast AZ during early May, and I'm no expert. According to reports of others, you'll get more migrating passerines in late August, but in October you'd have some wintering ducks and raptors. Also, in October, some residents will be at lower elevations than they'd be at in August, due to temperatures being cooler.

I've only been to southeast AZ during early May, and I'm no expert. According to reports of others, you'll get more migrating passerines in late August, but in October you'd have some wintering ducks and raptors. Also, in October, some residents will be at lower elevations than they'd be at in August, due to temperatures being cooler.

Agree with the wintering raptors and ducks. However, from living there (Sierra Vista area) much more diversity with the migration in August. Both times are great in SE AZ.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back