• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are window feeder hazardous for birds? (1 Viewer)

Telorast

United States
I haven't used window feeders because I worried that birds might fly into the glass either by seeing reflections or just not seeing a barrier is there.
OTOH, might the opposite be true? Might an object attached to the window help birds be aware of the glass barrier? OR maybe there are other factors pro or con?
I relocated & now am having birds hit the window pretty often, despite hanging things on the inside of the windows. Have been wondering if window feeders might help.

I've been using window feeders for years with very little incident. My window is in two parts, with the feeder fixed to the lower part.

Once a pigeon flew into it (think it was being chased by a Sparrowhawk), but the issue there is that there's another window at right angles to it and I wouldn't be surprised if he thought it was a through route, as he could see daylight beyond.

My biggest issue is ensuring I've a separate fixing, independent of the suction cups, otherwise the whole lot will fall to the ground LOL

Hi Telorast and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BirdForum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I used to have a window feeder which was well used by blue tits, coal tits and great tits. There were no incidents with birds flying in to the window because of it. I took it down because the squirrels discovered it and emptied it within minutes every day.

I once had a feeder attached to a window for a very short time and I took it down, I don't remember exactly why, I think it was because of the mess left on the window sill and the suction cups kept getting loose

My Dad was allowed to have a window feeder on his bedroom window at his care home.
As above, the only issue was bird poop on the window and the sill. Eventually the staff tired of cleaning the window every couple of days and the feeder had to be removed.

It’s a few years ago now but I don’t remember any mention of birds striking the window.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back