• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Appreciate Binocular Advice for Nonprofit Outdoor & Nature Program (1 Viewer)

The Pentax Papilio II 8.5x21 sell for $106 in the U.S. and what makes them exceptional is that they have a minimum focus distance of only 1.6 feet. That makes them great for birds and also for amphibians and lizards and flowers and insects. The Pentax importer/distributor is who I would contact about getting a special education deal on some.

In the USA the Vortex company has gifted their binoculars to non profit environmental and teaching organizations.

I would say that almost any (non-faulty) binocular these days is going to be a lot better than the naked eye. The issue would really be robustness, as mentioned before, because the cheap ones have a tendency to get fogged or knocked out of alignment - and then they really are useless.

So perhaps one idea might be to spend, say $60 per pair but get 50% more pairs than you need. Store the extra ones carefully so that they can replace any that get damaged, because they would be uneconomic to repair.

I suggested the Vortex Bantam 6.5x32 which is 70 dollars and I think Vortex would probably discount them some for you. They are good for kids and actually are a good binocular. I was pleased at how good they are for the price. They seem to fit the bill for what you want them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back