• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone see todays Sun (1 Viewer)

WACCOE

Marching on Together
On page 23 of todays Sun there are pictures of a Grey Heron catching then drowning a Rabbit before swallowing the poor unfortunate creature.

Any body witness this themselves in the field.

I've had those pictures somwhere on my box for about a year now, and they weren't new when I found them. Must be a slow news day!

Did witness a "Murder" (apt name) of Crows killing and eating a young rabbit once. Really distressing.

Just goes to show how clever some birds are - an amazing insight into the mind of a heron - it knows a fish out of water will die, and it knows a drowned rabbit is a dead one.

Other birds which drown - the notorious Greater Black Backed Gull and I have heard of Sparrowhawks dunking their prey in water to kill them, if near a water table.

How would a crow kill a young rabbit? Must have been gruesome yet interesting to watch. Do they only use their beaks or do their talons help?

Just goes to show how clever some birds are - an amazing insight into the mind of a heron - it knows a fish out of water will die, and it knows a drowned rabbit is a dead one.

Other birds which drown - the notorious Greater Black Backed Gull and I have heard of Sparrowhawks dunking their prey in water to kill them, if near a water table.

How would a crow kill a young rabbit? Must have been gruesome yet interesting to watch. Do they only use their beaks or do their talons help?

It was about 5 of them all round it just pecking, by the time I got my binos out the van its eyes or at least the one I could see had gone but was still alive and screaming, it took a long time for it to die. but the crows didn't eat it all just a few bits. It was across a river so I couldn't get over to see exactly what had been left.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back