• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone here get parakeets? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, I regularly get a multitude of parakeets visit my feeders each day and it’s getting repetitive having to chase them off all the time. I’m looking at the Roamwild Pest Off feeder for peanuts and Roamwild Pest Off feeder.They have figured out how to get into the squirrel buster feeder even on the lightest weight intake. However the perches on the roamwild are smaller and i think will deter them. Anyone else here get parakeets? What did you do to stop them getting the seed meant for the small birds?

Many thanks,
Ev

I have Ring-necked Parakeets regularly in my garden.
I have simple squirrel proof feeders (central core has the feeder and is surrounded by a cage).
The last ones were about £16 from the local DIY shop.

I have Ring-necked Parakeets regularly in my garden.
I have simple squirrel proof feeders (central core has the feeder and is surrounded by a cage).
The last ones were about £16 from the local DIY shop.
Are the parakeets able to get any of the seed out? Or do those feeders work and keep them out?

We don't get Parakeets in my bit of Kent, but Starlings were dominating the feeders, but these keep Starlings out but let Sparrows feed happily: Gardman Heavy Duty Squirrel Proof Seed Feeder

I would have thought Parakeets wouldn't be able use them from size...
I have the peanut type of this feeder, but many of the birds don't seem to like it. Blue and Great tits occasionally but not all the time. Did have a GSW on it last year although it hasn't been back yet. It definitely deters the parakeets and they haven't even tried to get in it. I have the Roamwild one at my mums but I'm sceptical about buying them at my dads because the parakeets are fairly smart and I'm wandering if they can get in the feeder. However at my mums, the parakeets haven't tried to get into the Roamwild one so it might work.

Parakeets are small parrots, so if there's a way for them to get into the feeder, they'll probably figure it out. Your best bet would probably be the cage-style feeders, or any other method that makes it difficult for them to physically access it.

Additionally, do they have a favorite type of seed? You could put some of that seed in a non-guarded feeder, so they'll be more likely to go over there and eat it instead of trying to get into the guarded feeder. They're birds, too, after all.

Additionally, do they have a favorite type of seed? You could put some of that seed in a non-guarded feeder, so they'll be more likely to go over there and eat it instead of trying to get into the guarded feeder. They're birds, too, after all.
To be honest I don’t think they have a favourite but I’d think it’s either peanuts or sunflower. We do have a spare peanut feeder which we would replace after we get the Roamwild one for peanuts, so I’ll mention that to my dad and see what he thinks. I’ve moved a couple of the feeders around this morning and I put the squirrel buster feeder (which is there favourite) in a different place. I don’t mind having the parakeets around that much but having a feeder where they can have it too themselves is a good idea. It’s more when there’s 4-5 it gets a bit difficult because they tend to go in all of the feeders which means I have to scare them off which then means that most of the other birds would scare off. It’s hit and miss really.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back