• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to New Zealand? (1 Viewer)

jgrnot

Hello,

I am looking for advice on birding sites in NZ? Anyone been? Any highlights you can share is appreciated.

I am very interested in seeing a kiwi, takahe, kaka, and kea. Anyone seen any of these?

I don't want to disturb a kakapo, but does anyone know if there are any in captivity?

Jgrnot

jgrnot said:
Hello,

I am looking for advice on birding sites in NZ? Anyone been? Any highlights you can share is appreciated.

I am very interested in seeing a kiwi, takahe, kaka, and kea. Anyone seen any of these?

I don't want to disturb a kakapo, but does anyone know if there are any in captivity?

Jgrnot
Not been myself yet...but going Nov/Dec - a few sites to help you....
http://www.wrybill-tours.com/

http://www.naturequest.co.nz/

http://www.natureandco.co.nz/land_and_wildlife/wildlife/seabirds/idx_seabirds.php

http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/gallery.html

I've been told for most endemics you will need a guide....

Tiri Tiri Matangi Island (about 30 mins from Auckland think you have to book on a guided tour) for Takahe apparently they join you for lunch!!

Hope this helps!!

jgrnot said:
Hello,

Jgrnot

Hi Jgrnot,

I was in New Zealand for seven months. The only Kiwis I saw were at the Kiwi House in Otorohanga on the North Island. We went through and saw the birds in their little biospheres. The guide said that they had been asked to give some of the birds to a new place that guaranteed the birds safety. She said the place was enclosed and had wire mesh into the ground to keep the birds safe from maurading anythings and that Doc felt that it was ok to release the birds to the care of this new place. I thought that this Doc guy must really be something, building this Kiwi House and checking out future homes. A month later, I was at my ex-neighbor's (Kiwi that lived in California) house in Mt. Maunganui and found out Doc wasn't some nice, rich, generous old greybeard, but the Department of Conservation. Talk about a dummy! I will email a young Kiwi (human) I know who is into the natural N.Z. world and get back to you. You will love N.Z.

Last edited:
I even live there

Hi jgrnot,

Besides the Kakapo (I don't know if any are in captivity. Probably not. There is a stuffed one at the DOC-visitor centre in Oban, Stewart Island and I think I also saw one in the Te Papa Museum in Wellington (but I am not 100% sure). Disturbing a Kakapo would be an achievement by itself. They are well guarded on Codfish Island (near Stewart Island) and the kiwi (humans this time) don't allow any visitors.

Kaka on several places, Kea in the Southern Alps (keep an eye on your car!), Takahe in Fjordland or (more easily on Tiritiri Matangi, they indeed like your lunch too). None of these should give you any problems.

Kiwi; Thats a different story. If you have a spotlight, good ears and fieldskills then you could go out on nights in areas where Kiwi's (there are five (sub)species recognized at the moment, humans not included) live. More common sense and probably a lot nicer for the bird would be to hire a guide on Aroha (North of Auckland), Tiritiri Matangi (near Auckland) or on Stewart Island (great for Kaka to)

In July a book on birdwatching in New Zealand for visitors will be available. That will give you all the best spots for visitors to go and look for New Zealand specialties.

Cheers,
Leo

I've seen kea at the car park at Fox Glacier, and as previously mentioned Takahe are unmissable on tiritiri matangi, which also hosts red-crowned parakeet, north island robin, whitehead, saddleback, stitchbird (all unmissable), fernbird, kokako, brown teal (more difficult) and little spotted kiwi (maybe possible if you stay overnight)

good luck
james

NZ birding

Hi,

Takahe You will see quite sure at Tiritiri Matangi island near Auckland ( bird sanctuary only for day visitors, but not every day ).
Also there e.g. saddleback.
Northland Kaka is very sure in Whirinaki Forest ( nice forest with lots of high trees, Kahikatea ).
Southland Kaka is sure on Stewart island.
Kea is good in Westland NP and Arthurs Pass.
Australian Gannets is sure between Oktober and January on Muriway Beach, northwest of Auckland ( until 3.000 breed there ).
Albatrosses, Mollymawks and Giant Petrel is sure with birdtours in the ocean near Kaikoura.
Yellow Eyed Penguin ( I heard is the rarest penguin ) is good on Nugged Point south of Dunedin and Moeraki Beach north of Dunedin.
Yellow Crested Penguin is quite good on boat tours in Milford Sound or on Monroe Beach north of haast.
Kokako is the biggest population in north part of Te Urewera. Best time is around 7:00 am at the mountain on fine sunny day ( which is very rare in rainforest ).
Good spot is Ulva island near Stewart island. This is a bird sanctuary for day visitors ( ferry is going different time per day ).
On Stewart island is the only day activ Kiwi. But You need a 4 - 5 day trek or a expensive boat trip ( pay per boat, not per person, so more persons are sheeper ).
Paradise duck are very common in northwest coast of south island.
Between Westland NP and Karamea, Weka bird is very common.

Best regards
Dieter

birding sites in NZ

Jgrnot

I have just returned from my second NZ trip and here are my recommendations for the birds that you want to see.

Kaka - very common on Stewart Island around the town

Kiwi - I have only seen two species -

Stewart Island/Fiordland Brown Kiwi - seen on Stewart Island on an arranged night trip (google Philip Smith and Kiwi)

Little Spotted Kiwi - Tiritiri Mantangi Island (off Auckland) there is a bunk house there where you can stay overnight cheaply, but it is wise to book well in advance. the kiwis here are fairly easy to see, providing the weather is OK just ask the staff there where is the best place to look and don't forget your flashlight!

Kea - there is usually a couple around the car park at Homer Tunnel on the way to Milford Sound - the short walk from the car park here is very good for Rock Wren another of NZ endemics.

Takahe - re-introduced on Tiritiri Mantangi where they wander arounud the bunk house. I also heard that you can see wild ones on a trek from Te Anau.

other endemics......

NZ Dabchick - lake Rotorua
Yellow-eyed Penguin - several viewable colonies around Dunedin
Fiordland Crested Penguin - Milford Sound during the NZ summer
Spotted Shag - common around the coastline of South Island
King Shag - Marlborough sound boat trip
Stewart Island Shag - Stewart Island and the SE coast of South Island
Blue Duck - Ruatiti Domain central North Island
Paradise Shellduck- common
Brown Teal - introduced on Tiritiri Mantangi
NZ Scaup - common
NZ Falcon - near mythical
Weka - widespread - Ulva Island just of Stewart Is.
Variable Oystercatcher - Stewart Island and Miranda wetland Centre (North Island)
Black Stilt - Twizel, South Island
Banded Dotterel - common
NZ Dotterel - Miranda wetland Centre
Wrybill - Miranda wetland Centre
Black-billed Gull - common
Black-fronted Tern - common
NZ Pigeon - common and very easy on Stewart Is.
Yellow-crowned Parakeet - common eg Lake Gunn on the way to Homer Tunnel
Red-crowned Parakeet - common on Tiritiri Mantangi
Rifleman - common
Rock Wren - the Alpine Loop track at Homer Tunnel
Grey Warbler - common
Fernbird - localised and can be tricky - www.fernbirds.co.nz
Brown Creeper - straight forward
Whitehead - Tiritiri Mantangi
Yellowhead - Haast Pass and also Ulva Is.
Tomtit - common
NZ Robin - reasonably common
Kokako - Tiritiri Mantangi
Tui - common
Stitchbird - Tiritiri Mantangi
Bellbird - common
Saddleback - Tiritiri Mantangi

Plus a trip to Kaikoura for stunning views of Albatrosses.

You'll have a great time NZ is simply superb.

cheers,

Mark

Tanager said:
Jgrnot

I have just returned from my second NZ trip and here are my recommendations for the birds that you want to see.

Kaka - very common on Stewart Island around the town

Kiwi - I have only seen two species -

Stewart Island/Fiordland Brown Kiwi - seen on Stewart Island on an arranged night trip (google Philip Smith and Kiwi)

Little Spotted Kiwi - Tiritiri Mantangi Island (off Auckland) there is a bunk house there where you can stay overnight cheaply, but it is wise to book well in advance. the kiwis here are fairly easy to see, providing the weather is OK just ask the staff there where is the best place to look and don't forget your flashlight!

Kea - there is usually a couple around the car park at Homer Tunnel on the way to Milford Sound - the short walk from the car park here is very good for Rock Wren another of NZ endemics.

Takahe - re-introduced on Tiritiri Mantangi where they wander arounud the bunk house. I also heard that you can see wild ones on a trek from Te Anau.

other endemics......

NZ Dabchick - lake Rotorua
Yellow-eyed Penguin - several viewable colonies around Dunedin
Fiordland Crested Penguin - Milford Sound during the NZ summer
Spotted Shag - common around the coastline of South Island
King Shag - Marlborough sound boat trip
Stewart Island Shag - Stewart Island and the SE coast of South Island
Blue Duck - Ruatiti Domain central North Island
Paradise Shellduck- common
Brown Teal - introduced on Tiritiri Mantangi
NZ Scaup - common
NZ Falcon - near mythical
Weka - widespread - Ulva Island just of Stewart Is.
Variable Oystercatcher - Stewart Island and Miranda wetland Centre (North Island)
Black Stilt - Twizel, South Island
Banded Dotterel - common
NZ Dotterel - Miranda wetland Centre
Wrybill - Miranda wetland Centre
Black-billed Gull - common
Black-fronted Tern - common
NZ Pigeon - common and very easy on Stewart Is.
Yellow-crowned Parakeet - common eg Lake Gunn on the way to Homer Tunnel
Red-crowned Parakeet - common on Tiritiri Mantangi
Rifleman - common
Rock Wren - the Alpine Loop track at Homer Tunnel
Grey Warbler - common
Fernbird - localised and can be tricky - www.fernbirds.co.nz
Brown Creeper - straight forward
Whitehead - Tiritiri Mantangi
Yellowhead - Haast Pass and also Ulva Is.
Tomtit - common
NZ Robin - reasonably common
Kokako - Tiritiri Mantangi
Tui - common
Stitchbird - Tiritiri Mantangi
Bellbird - common
Saddleback - Tiritiri Mantangi

Plus a trip to Kaikoura for stunning views of Albatrosses.

You'll have a great time NZ is simply superb.

cheers,

Mark

Hi Jgrnot,

I guess you don't need anything more from me. ;) Enjoy N.Z, it's great!

NZ is a fabulous place ...

as for NZ falcon, I saw a single bird, in 3.5 months, over farmland just to the south of Motuweka (Nelson district) at the beginning of December '89 ... how gettable one would be in that area now though, I have no idea

I have seen the NZ Falcon on both of my visits and on each occasion I was fishing on the River Grey on South Island. Try www.twflyfishing.co.nz Thomas White also does bird guiding if you wish. He is immensely knowledgable and it would be well worth going out with him for a day or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back