• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Calendar Bird (1 Viewer)

rkj

Some years ago a photographic field guide came out with some of the birds wrongly identified. It turned out that after the experts had selected photos a picture editor had gone through and changed some of them to ones that looked prettier - but were unfortunately of the wrong species. I wonder if something like that has happened here.

This is a picture identified in my Audubon page-a-day calendar as a Great Cormorant. Clearly it is a darter rather than any kind of cormorant. My question is, what kind of darter? The darters I have seen live I have always identified by location. Not knowing where this picture was taken, I do not have any references that allow me to determine which of the darters it is.

Attachments

• Darter.jpg
    Darter.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 73
For adults, only Australasian Darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae) female is that white below. But I don't have info on juvenile African and Oriental Darters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back