• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglesey info required (1 Viewer)

Birdbox

staringin2thevoid
I'm struggling to find a decent site on birding Anglesey. You know the kind of thing - sites, news, recent sightings, historical sightings, bird list, migrant hotspots etc.

Any suggestions?

And historically, is the island likely to produce yanks when other western outposts are doing so?

I'm struggling to find a decent site on birding Anglesey. You know the kind of thing - sites, news, recent sightings, historical sightings, bird list, migrant hotspots etc.

Any suggestions?

And historically, is the island likely to produce yanks when other western outposts are doing so?

When I lived there I used to aks the same questions. I left in 2000 but even then the number of 'serious' birdwatchers was quite low. There tended to be a small core of regulars supplemented by occasional students and visiting workers. From previous Cambrian Orn Soc bird reports 'yank' birds were quite thinly spread. One reason advanced for this was that Ireland tended to be the first port of call. I did get some good WP rarities over 20 years but the island was more notable as a rewarding regular patch than as a rarity hotspot. This may just be the effect of poorer coverage. I remember watching a Broad-billed Sandpiper all on my own for several hours one June.

You might try the following site (there's a 'sightings' forum, and threads devoted to local places of interest)

http://northwalesbirding.co.uk/

The most regular site for rarities when I was there was South Stack and surroundings, thanks mainly to a concentration of local watchers, with Point Lynas notable for good seawatching records.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back