• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Early Morning Merlin (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Up at the crack of dawn and down the eastern end of Breydon for a spot of early morning birding in the peace and quiet by the water.

There's a large piece of wood (sort of telegraph pole size but thicker) which must have floated up on a high tide, which sits on the river bank about half a mile past the hide, and it makes an ideal seat looking South across the mudflats. Sitting there this morning about 7 o'clock was fantastic under the clear blue sky with just a light breeze. Ok, I guess a true birder would ask for easterly gales and rain ...... but ..... nah, give it another week or two yet.... Please. There were actually a surprising number of birds already at the eastern end given that it was 4 hours before high tide. A little further on where the second hide used to be is another good vantage point and between the 2 spots I had some pretty good sightings, nothing fantastic but still ok. As well as the big flocks ( Avocet, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Golden Plover etc ..) which I've gone into before so shan't do again, I saw several Wigeon which I think were misidentified from across the river yesterday as Pochard, at a guess these are the first of the returning fowl, and a definite increase in the number of Shelduck.

Walking back toward the Asda ( eastern) end I was absolutely amazed with what came next. Twisting and turning low above the greenery, chasing a small finch (???) like something possessed was a Merlin..... WOW !! Short sharp wingbeats, then rising fast at the target, swooping back down again as the finch jinked out of the way several times to escape. Really fantastic, tenacious, the Merlin just wouldn't give up. Across the saltmarsh it came and right past the hide and over the footpath, then behind some bushes where I think the finch somehow made its escape ... maybe into the bushes ? Anyhow before flying south across the river by the road bridge, the Merlin circled around which gave me an excellent view of it's heavily streaked chest & underwings, it's sleek sharply pointed wings, light chin area against a darker upper head area, and dark brown topside. From my id book, the colour and size indicate it was female. One of, if not the, most memorable of my sightings.

Some other good / noteable bits :

Little Egret x 7
Greenshank x 2
Knot x 1
Curlew Sandpiper x 1
Common Tern x 1
Sandwich Tern x 1

Followed by breakfast of black coffee & chorizo eggs

Hi Carlos, I was doing a similar early shift down the Thames at Tilbury;Sunday mornings,no traffic,bus lanes to use,great!

Enjoyed your report,as always,exciting bird the Merlin,the finch did well to escape.
Are the eggs stuffed with chorizo,or vice versa?

After packing my eldest fledgling off to UMIST (University) next Sunday I (and my little lady) will be coming to the Yarmouth area for a few days. I will consult the map you referred me to when I first mentioned my intention to invade your county. Wonder if I will be able to get up as early as you? You mention flocks of Avocets - do they winter in the UK? I've only ever seen a handful on two occasions (at RSPB Leighton Moss).

Hi Carlos.
well what can I say, lucky sod or the likes spring to mind, no
joking apart what a start to the day and what a end hope you
enjoyed the eggs. Like yourself I like an early start and it pays
of, like your repot shows.
bert

Hi Henry, yes the Avocet winter right here on Breydon, 100's currently up there, if you go at low tide and they aren't at the eastern end, then take a walk along either north or south shore and you'll find them pretty soon !

I think ( ?) they also overwinter in other parts of the east and south coast of England.

Enjoy your stay, let us know what you see.

Chorizo eggs - finely chopped Chorizo sausage cooked in a little olive oil, then add the whisked eggs. Stir until they're scrambled and just set. Have them on toast, only takes about 10 minutes.

Hi Carlos,
Enjoyed your report - excellent evocation of the morning. I've yet to see a Merlin - great description of the bird. And the eggs at the end- fantastic! I think we need a gastrobirding section on BF for members to enter their favourite pre or post birding snacks.
:eat: :t: B :)

james

Hi Carlos,

I too had an early morning encounter with a merlin. I watched her with her catch at Elmley last winter. A simply beautiful bird (the raptors are my favourites). I have yet to see a chase though, you lucky guy!

When I see things that move me like that a painting is the usual result and this was no exception. The reference was from a captive bird but the feeling is all from that experience.

Woody

Attachments

• result.jpg
    result.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 243
Hi Woody,

Fantastic painting. Do you have any others posted? Love to see some more. Do you have any in a gallery that one can visit with a view to purchasing.
:t:

james

Hi Woody,
I was saying to a friend only the day before yesterday that seeing beautiful birds moves me to wish I could recapture the moment by drawing or painting them. I so admire your ability to do that! That is gorgeous! Have you got any of Snipe? Do you sell them? Red Kites? Avocets? I must make myself go out with a sketch book.
Hi Carlos,
Wonderful descriptive writing. Thank you.

Great Job!

Woody, that is a great painting! What medium is it done in?

A friend and I witnessed a similar episode while out at our local airport looking for Smith's Longspurs. We noticed a flock of swallows feeding over a wet meadow area nearby. All of sudden a Merlin swoops in "from nowhere" and deftly snatches a swallow out of the flock. It just seemed to have "locked on" to one of them and picked it out "as pretty as you please". It was quite a memorable experience!

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Carlos.

Larry, the painting is done in acrylics. I love watching raptors hunt, my latest experience was a Hobby, again over Elmley marsh, taking a large dragonfly and eating it on the wing. Just amazing to watch.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back