• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Lark (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken at Vale Santo, near Cape St. Vincent two days ago. Thekla's Lark is by far the most common lark there - but Crested Larks seem to be very rare in this particular location. This one looks like Crested to me - longer bill with a straight lower mandible. But as it is unusual, am posting for confirmation

IMG_9377.JPG

rust-coloured upper tail coverts
But you can see rump-feathers as well, adjacent, and both tracts are the same warm buff (doubtfully rusty) - in my opinion. Whereas the Thekla lark feature is, apparently, for uppertail-coverts and rump to be contrasting.

Always better with their bills closed in these ;). And it doesn't look that long-billed anymore, lower mandible looks straight, so might be a theklae in the end.

The reason I posted the first pic was that it was more side on. The second two, have the face tilted away somewhat, which would make the bill appear shorter.
Given the location, I would expect Thekla. My reason for putting it up, was that in the field it seemed to exhibit a more crested feel - the bill was the main thing, but also strong crest, less clear chest streaks, and less contrast in the colours on the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back