• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alaudidae (1 Viewer)

For the sake of completeness :

Alaemoninae (Hoopoe Larks) (2)
The author would be Verheyen 1958 -- Vol. 26 : no.1 (1958) - Alauda - Biodiversity Heritage Library
(No real disagnosis, but used again by Verheyen 1959 https://doi.org/10.1080/00306525.1959.9639334 ; available under ICZN 13.2.1.)
(Bock 1994 failed to find both.)

Pyrrhulaudinae (Sparrow-Larks) (14)
The author would be Bonaparte 1853 -- t.37 (1853) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Last edited:
I was talking about your own list of birds 😋

I recognised 4 subfam (Alaudinae, Mirafrinae, Pyrrhulaudinae and Certhilaudinae) and placed Alaemon in Certhilaudinae
I don't think it's too different from yours honestly, a few unrecognized lumps and a few unrecognized splits at the tribe and higher level. I don't play around with genera unless I need to, for instance if a single genus would be spread over multiple higher taxonomic ranks, like with Charadrius. I still follow IOC for species level taxonomy, and changing genera makes that a bit more difficult in keeping track of things.

I don't think it's too different from yours honestly, a few unrecognized lumps and a few unrecognized splits at the tribe and higher level. I don't play around with genera unless I need to, for instance if a single genus would be spread over multiple higher taxonomic ranks, like with Charadrius. I still follow IOC for species level taxonomy, and changing genera makes that a bit more difficult in keeping track of things.
I would love to see your work though x)

The choice of identifying subfamilies on the basis of some unique genetic feature comes across as a very weak choice.
There must be something better, even if morphological features have not been useful for lark systematics in the past.
I'm also quite interested in their oncoming work on the Corypha africana complex, where a few previously proposed splits ("Serengeti Lark" (part of africana) and "Malbrant's Lark" (?)) do not show up.

Also, I have a doubt on the type species of Plocealauda

I had not had a close look at this one before.

Plocealauda was originally used in:
Hodgson BH. 1844. Catalogue of Nipalese birds, collected between 1824 and 1844. Zool. Miscell. (Gray): 81-86.​
(I assume this is the source that Alström et al. have in mind when they attribute Plocealauda to "J. E. Gray 1844". Subsequent comments by Hodgson himself indicate that Gray had indeed (lightly) edited the work before publishing it. However, this cannot be deduced from the contents of the work, which Gray clearly attributed to Hodgson alone when he published it in 1844.)
This work is a list of species names, followed by one or more number(s) referring to unpublished drawings and specimens, without any description. The only way a genus-group name can be available from such a work, is if it happened to have been combined with "one or more available specific names [...] provided that the specific name or names can be unambiguously assigned to a nominal species-group taxon or taxa". This was certainly not the case of :
Plocealauda typica, 724.
...which is completely nude. Plocealauda can thus certainly not be cited as available from this source.

The immediately subsequent appearance of the name seems to have been, in synonymy, in:
[Gray JE, Gray GR.] 1846 [= 1847]. Catalogue of the specimens and drawings of mammalia and birds of Nepal and Thibet presented by B.H. Hodgson Esq. to the British Museum. The Trustees (of the British Museum), London.​
(The preface of this work is signed by JE Gray and states that GR Gray had worked on the identification of Hodgson's birds; the rest is technically anonymous. The work has been variously attributed to JE Gray alone, GR Gray alone, JE Gray & GR Gray, or even to Hodgson. Sherborn 1926 indicated that it had been "laid upon the table" of the Trustees of the British Museum (a pre-publication step) on 9 Jan 1847.)
THE JAVA MIRAFRA. Mirafra javanica, Horsf. Linn. Trans, xiii. p. 159. Alauda mirafra, Temm. Plocealauda typica, Hodgs. Gray, Zool. Misc. p. 84, pl. col. 305.
If the name is taken from here, the type under the standard provisions of the Code is the nominal species denoted by the valid name of the single included taxonomic species, i.e., Mirafra javanica Horsfield 1821, by monotypy.

Subsequently, in the Nov 1847 issue of Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist., Blyth commented that Hodgson's Plocealauda typica was actually Mirafra assamica McClelland 1840, and distinct from Mirafra javanica Horsfield. If so, the type of Plocealauda could probably be claimed to be misidentified, and be corrected to Mirafra assamica McClelland 1840 under ICZN 70.3.2. Note that this would require an actual act, explicitly applying this article of the 4th ed. of the ICZN, and published according to the requirements of the Code after 1999. In the absence of such a published act, the type could only remain as fixed in the OD. The misidentification itself, even if clearly demonstrable, does not change this; earlier actions, such as the designation of another species as the type by earlier authors, carry no weight.

However... The identity of the type may not be the only problem with this name.

The name is in synonymy in [Gray & Gray] 1846 [= 1847] (ICZN 11.5 not fulfilled) : it can thus only be regarded as available from there (under ICZN 11.6.1) if it was "treated before 1961 as an available name and either adopted as the name of a taxon or treated as a senior homonym". Did this actually happen ? Plocealauda has no known homonyms so far as I can find; and, on a quick search, I did not find it unambiguously endorsed as a valid name anywhere after Hodgson 1844. (NB -- The entire text of Hodgson 1844 was republished in J. Asiat. Soc. Bengal in 1855, with the addition of an introduction in which Hodgson explained that he was frequently asked for copies but had no more left, which left him unable to comply to such requests. Plocealauda typica appears there, of course, as a valid name; but as the purpose of this republication appears to have been, exclusively, to make the consultation of the 1844 text possible, I don't think that the validity of the name can be regarded as having been endorsed a second time in 1855.)

If we cannot find a pre-1961 work were Plocealauda was taken out of synonymy and used as the valid name of a taxon, this name will simply be unavailable.

Last edited:
That means, at best, a new genus for the assamica species group, named "Plocecorys", and the split of Eremopterix into 3 : Eremopterix, Pyrrhulauda and a new "Hovacorys" or "Nesocorys "

Laurent wrote:

“This work is a list of species names, followed by one or more number(s) referring to unpublished drawings and specimens, without any description. ”

Poor Hodgson he tried to get the drawings published. But even if he had No. 724 drawing may not have qualified as modern typification. “zoological depictions from the era were intended as ‘ideal’ types, not as paintings of individual animals. They represented the collation and effective amalgamation of several specimens,”

Hodgson in Nepal: Turning Zoological Specimens into Art .

http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Pitt/pitt00533a.jpg .

https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/MON-V-AVES_0069_0001-0233.pdf . Page 126

I am looking for a version online of a Gray Gray Hodgson Anon. Mammals and birds which Hodgson hand wrote corrections and additions to the work and sent to many many ornithologists of the time, to see if he addresses Plocealauda.

I am looking for a version online of a Gray Gray Hodgson Anon. Mammals and birds which Hodgson hand wrote corrections and additions to the work and sent to many many ornithologists of the time, to see if he addresses Plocealauda.

I think what you have in mind may be this ?
But this is the second, 1863 edition -- Plocealauda is not even cited there.

Well No. 724 is mentioned but no hope for Plocealauda
437. MIRAFRA ASSAMICA, M'Clell. Proc. Z. S. 1839, p. 162. Mirafra javanica, Cat. Hodgs. Coll. B. M. p. 109. A drawing, adults, nat. size, with nest and eggs, no. 724. Page 59.

What is this species that Levaillant calls "Tracal", it looks like a lark, and particularly Melanocorypha yeltoniensis ? He places it in Africa.

It's ‘Eremopterix’ australis, Black-eared Sparrow Lark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back