• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

18 Wite-winged Black Terns on a grey water lagoon this mornng. One hour later they had gone. An Afghan tick for me.

A lone scruffy White-winged Black Tern on the above lagoon today along with four Little Stints and a single male Red-necked Phalarope; the first of the trip. Good photos of all three species taken.

Someone has just descibed what can only be a flock of 100+ Demoiselle Cranes over earlier this week. I was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cranes usually stop off on passage at Wasta lake in District Zhob, Balochistan province, Pakistan. I could try and find out if they stop over in Afghanistan for you, as i have a friend who works in Crane conservation?

27 Heuglin's Gulls over at last light today. God knows where they came from or where they are going. It's a desert out there!

Heughlin's Gulls must have been on passage. They tend to winter in Pakistan where I have only observed them on the coast, not inland. Although that is my observations. A book mentions they tend be more coastal in wintering grounds too. Although these birds could have been from Iran too.

Cranes usually stop off on passage at Wasta lake in District Zhob, Balochistan province, Pakistan. I could try and find out if they stop over in Afghanistan for you, as i have a friend who works in Crane conservation?

Yes please. They stop on the Helmand River on their way north but any info would be appreciated. I saw them in 2007 but missed in 2009/10. It would be great to find out where they end up.

Rich

3 Red-necked Phalaropes, 2 Temminck's Stints and half a dozen Little Stints this morning. Migration is not complete yet and I'm being paid for this.

What a difference a day makes. 'Only' one Little Stint today on what has been colloquially named the Poo Pond!

A stunning ♂ Bay-backed Shrike today on razor wire to add to my photos of 'Birds on razor wire'.

I enjoy reading this, its a shame you dont have photos....but for obvious reasons.

Managed to find the blog as well

I enjoy reading this, its a shame you dont have photos....but for obvious reasons.

Managed to find the blog as well

Thanks mate.

I have loads of photos but the bandwidth is shit and I am unable to post. I do have a couple on my gallery which I managed to download whilst back in the UK.

Der er ikke laengere nogle fugle i Helmand

The title says it all - if you can read Danish! As I am working closely with the Danes the title sums up my feelings - all the birds appear to have disappeared north. Bar Crested Lark, the odd Common Myna and Laughing Doves this part of Helmand appears to be birdless.

I did wonder when migration was going to dry-up in your part of the world; it seems remarkable that it has continued this long. And yes, I do read Danish!

I did wonder when migration was going to dry-up in your part of the world; it seems remarkable that it has continued this long. And yes, I do read Danish!

Stuart,

Did I get it the translation right? I think most species are working north up to the Taiga and parts of Central Asia which remain under snow for some time; it's still snowing in Northern Afghanistan. A similar migration exists in the US and Canada.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back