• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice for winter in Finland (1 Viewer)

metcow333

Hi

This might be a pretty daft request, but hopefully I can get some advice. My mother wants to go and see the northern lights for her birthday in January next year. So my question is, at that time of year, would this be A) possible (and hopefully relatively easy) in Finland, and B) would it be possible to dome birding then (owls etc), or is it constant darkness? Apologies for the ignorance

Cheers
Ollie

Hi

This might be a pretty daft request, but hopefully I can get some advice. My mother wants to go and see the northern lights for her birthday in January next year. So my question is, at that time of year, would this be A) possible (and hopefully relatively easy) in Finland, and B) would it be possible to dome birding then (owls etc), or is it constant darkness? Apologies for the ignorance

Cheers
Ollie

been up to lapland in january - didn't see much in the way of birds. there was some light from about 11 till 2.30. the snow made it ligther than you'd expect.

well, after 4 days in Lapland with the family (to visit Santa!), I can confirm an almost complete lack of birdlife. We had low cloud cover for 3 days, so it was pretty dark, with some brightness for 3-4 hours in the middle of the day. On the day we left, it was clear, and the sky was a bright pale blue colour for 5 hours or so.

The only sign of any birdlife were one set of footprints found in the forest one morning, apparently belonging to a willow grouse (according to the "forest elf" guide!)

Old post and I guess the trip is either done or cancelled.
However, I spent some time near Kuusomo in February (I know this is not Lapland but..) and there were plenty of birds.
Woodpecker, Siberian Jay, Golden Eagle (from hide), Dippers, tits etc.
We also saw the Northern lights

Ideally for the birds though you need someone who can get you to a decent hide although Dippers were pretty easy to find

Old post and I guess the trip is either done or cancelled.
However, I spent some time near Kuusomo in February (I know this is not Lapland but..) and there were plenty of birds.
Woodpecker, Siberian Jay, Golden Eagle (from hide), Dippers, tits etc.
We also saw the Northern lights

Ideally for the birds though you need someone who can get you to a decent hide although Dippers were pretty easy to find

Steve are you doing any sort of Trip report? it would be good to see an upto date report, I ask as I am in Kuusamo in a months time

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back