• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adelboden April. (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
What birds/wildlife am I likely to see in Adelboden in early April and are there any good places in this region?
I can’t seem to find much info on the wildlife of the area but I appreciate the "skiing" may be the reason for this
Thanks
Hadden

A difficult task, there is still a lot of snow up there and it's still terribly cold. In any forest around Adelboden you can find Crested Tit, Willow Tit (montanus), Treecreeper, Nutcracker, Crossbill and other common species. If you go up to Englistenalp you have a fair chance of Golden Eagle and if you're lucky Lammergeier. Yellow-billed Chough should be easy. Look out for Alpine Accentor around restaurants up there. The first Citril Finches might arrive (however, the weather is still really bad) and Ring Ouzel might be around. Watch out for Crag Martins, the first ones are already around.

If you have the opportunity to go down to Thunersee; there is an Iceland Gull around, usually seen near Merligen but also at Kanderdelta.

André

A difficult task, there is still a lot of snow up there and it's still terribly cold. In any forest around Adelboden you can find Crested Tit, Willow Tit (montanus), Treecreeper, Nutcracker, Crossbill and other common species. If you go up to Englistenalp you have a fair chance of Golden Eagle and if you're lucky Lammergeier. Yellow-billed Chough should be easy. Look out for Alpine Accentor around restaurants up there. The first Citril Finches might arrive (however, the weather is still really bad) and Ring Ouzel might be around. Watch out for Crag Martins, the first ones are already around.

If you have the opportunity to go down to Thunersee; there is an Iceland Gull around, usually seen near Merligen but also at Kanderdelta.

André
Thank you ever so much this has been most helpful. I leave on Friday for 10 days. The trip is mostly Skiing but I have alot of free time for wildlife photography and bird watching so I will post here how I get on for info for others visiting the area.

Had a great time in Switzerland.
Alpine Choughs were everywhere and Black Redstarts were seen around Adelboden and Snowfinch were often seen at Geils.
The Highlight of the trip was a juvenile Lammergeier at Haanenmoos and an alpine ibex at Englistenalp.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back