• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipitriformes (1 Viewer)

Catanach T.A., Halley M.R. & Pirro S., in press. Enigmas no longer: using Ultraconserved Elements to place several unusual hawk taxa and address the non-monophyly of the genus Accipiter (Accipitriformes: Accipitridae). bioRxiv

Catanach T.A., Halley M.R. & Pirro S., in press. Enigmas no longer: using Ultraconserved Elements to place several unusual hawk taxa and address the non-monophyly of the genus Accipiter (Accipitriformes: Accipitridae). bioRxiv

So, I'll add Aerospiza in my lists

They also did a first reviser action picking between Tachyspiza, and Leucospiza Kaup 1844. This was discussed here:
Accipitridae .
Or were you using Tachyspiza already?

They also did a first reviser action picking between Tachyspiza, and Leucospiza Kaup 1844. This was discussed here:
Accipitridae .
Or were you using Tachyspiza already?

Yes, Jim was using Tachyspiza already, but no he did cite Leucospiza as its synonym, hence he did not act as First Reviser.
Of course, Catanach et al. will have acted as First Revisers only when this paper gets published. (And at the condition that nobody else has acted in the meantime.)

Their trees certainly call for merger of Sarcogyps, Trigonoceps, Aegypius and Torgos, the whole clade being younger than Circaetus including Dryotriorchis. Either that or leave Dryotriorchis and split off the Banded Snake Eagles to a genus of their own. Also, Lophoaetus+Ictinaetus+Clanga clade younger than Hieraeetus or Aquila and should be merged as well. I'll leave priority of names to you guys!

Their trees certainly call for merger of Sarcogyps, Trigonoceps, Aegypius and Torgos,
Aegypius, but I'll keep Sarcogyps
the whole clade being younger than Circaetus including Dryotriorchis. Either that or leave Dryotriorchis and split off the Banded Snake Eagles to a genus of their own.
I prefer split Circaetus
. Also, Lophoaetus+Ictinaetus+Clanga clade younger
Ictinaetus

Last edited:

Hieracospiza, Hieraspizia, Hieraspizias, Hierospiza, Hiracospizias, Ieraspizia, Ierospizia, Jeraspizia, Teraspiza, Teraspizias and Terospiza (at least... ;)), are all subsequent spellings of Hieraspiza Kaup. (I.e., they should in principle all take the same type, whatever the species for which the various spellings were first used.)
(Capital I and J are frequently confused in early German texts. The spellings in T- obviously have their origin in a misreading of Johann Jakob Kaup's handwriting by a British typographer -- the very same misreading that also resulted in his name being turned into "T. T. Kaup" in some British outlets.)

Kaup first used Hieraspiza in 1844 Classification der säugethiere und vögel - Biodiversity Heritage Library , but it was a nomen nudum there -- merely presented as a taxon that seemed to include some East-Indian species, to which virgatus perhaps ("vielleicht") belonged : this does not amount to a positive inclusion of a nominal species in the genus-group taxon, and cannot be accepted as one (see ICZN 67.2.5) -- there is nothing to make Hieraspiza available in this work. As a consequence, the name must be taken from the next work where it was used, i.e. Kaup 1845 Bd.3 (1845) - Museum Senckenbergianum - Biodiversity Heritage Library -- with Nisus virgatus and N. dussumieri as originally included species, and no type fixation in the OD. The earliest subsequent type designations (starting with Gray in 1849 v.1 (1844-1849) - The genera of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library (which is typically overlooked), followed by Gray 1855 Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library (which has often been accepted)) were of Falco tinus Latham 1790, a species that Kaup only included in the taxon in a subsequent work, published in 1847 -- these are of course invalid. The earliest designation of an eligible species may have been by Sharpe in 1874 Vol 1 (1874) - Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library . (Sharpe did not attribute Hieraspiza to the correct publication, but this is in principle immaterial under current rules, see ICZN 67.7. Note also that Sharpe designated simultaneously the same type for Hieraspiza Kaup "1844", and for the ISS "Teraspiza Kaup 1867" : even if one were to reject the first of these designations as applying to something that was not yet an available name, the second one would still stand -- and fix the type of Hieraspiza Kaup 1845, see ICZN 67.6.)

Last edited:
Does changing A. virgatus to Teraspiza virgatus help anyone understand the relationships of these birds?

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking...it's nearly as old a split as New World Vultures!
What determines a group at the order level? Are there anatomical criteria that link all the species of this group? I remember that there is a study on the shells of eggs in which the author indicated similarities or differences of structures which would make it possible to define if such or such species belonged to an order or not.

"some even go to the extreme of giving it its own order “Sagittariiformes” (Ferguson-Lees, Raptors of the World)" Ferguson-Lees et al. (2001) split the conventional Falconiformes into several orders, Pandionidae and Accipitridae were placed in the Accipitriformes, Falconidae in the Falconiformes and Sagittariidae into the Sagittariiformes and the Cathartidae were transferred to the Ciconiiformes. Pandion, Hamirostra, Aviceda, Accipiter, Circus, Butastur, Aquila and Hieraaetus are some gerena in Accipitriformes order (Christidis and Boles 2008)
Mahmood 2015 has it in its own sub-order Sagittarii

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking...it's nearly as old a split as New World Vultures!
The oldest known Sagittariidae are from the genus Pelargopappus Stejneger, 1885, Pelargopappus magnus (Milne-Edwards, 1868) and Pelargopappus schlosseri (Gaillard, 1908). both from the Moddle Oligocene of France. Another genus and species was Amanuensis pickfordi Mourer-Chauviré, 2003 from the Middle Miocene of Namibia.

FredThat is in my opinion not so old to have to place the in another order Many "orders" are much older and still are in modern orders, like Anatiformes, Galliformes, Procelariiformes, etc. Some of them go back to Cretaceous times.

Fred

I would like to combine the current phylogenetic studies with the work of Konstantin Mikhailov on the structure of eggshells in order to see if there are coherences between them.

The oldest known Sagittariidae are from the genus Pelargopappus Stejneger, 1885, Pelargopappus magnus (Milne-Edwards, 1868) and Pelargopappus schlosseri (Gaillard, 1908). both from the Moddle Oligocene of France. Another genus and species was Amanuensis pickfordi Mourer-Chauviré, 2003 from the Middle Miocene of Namibia.

FredThat is in my opinion not so old to have to place the in another order Many "orders" are much older and still are in modern orders, like Anatiformes, Galliformes, Procelariiformes, etc. Some of them go back to Cretaceous times.

Fred
We were referencing divergence dates from the most recent paper, which put a divergence at around 50 mya IIRC, and just slightly younger than Cathartiformes, which is widely recognized at the ordinal level by many checklists.

Given that the bird fossil record is rather spotty, it doesn't seem unreasonable to imagine that they have a ghost lineage extending much further back than the oldest definite records. Especially if early members of the group lacked some of the characteristic features of modern secretary birds. I for instance could see the "long legs" being a more recent adaptation reflecting the spread of grasslands, which is consistent with a lot of mammal groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back