• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very wrong timing to purchase RSPB HD bin? (1 Viewer)

Jacklau89

Before asking,first of all, I am totally a fresh birdwatcher so I intended to get a nice pair of bin to have a good start.

When I searched through the forum I found that RSPB optics are,generally,pretty good in both quality and money value.And I am really interested to get myself a pair of RSPB HD bin,as you can feel that they are very well built.

And here's the problem: I know that they are going to launch an upgraded version in the near future(8X32 at NOV end,while others out in next year,post by someone),is it a really DUMB decision to purchase the "OLD" version now?

And I am not intended to get any extra new bin in the near future after purchasing one,which makes my decision a tough one I suppose.

Does anyone know what improvement they have make in the new version of HD bins?

Please feel free to feed me with any opinions,as I am a total fresher,you know!:loveme:

Last edited:
Hi Newbi

Sorry to see so many people have read this post without saying a warm welcome to birdforum.
Don't know these bins but someone will come along with the answer soon.

Good luck

James

Hi Newbi

Sorry to see so many people have read this post without saying a warm welcome to birdforum.
Don't know these bins but someone will come along with the answer soon.

Good luck

James

Hi James

Thank you for your warm welcoming|:d|It nice to join you all and I certainly have so much more to learn!

I do hope someone can give me advices on that,as it troubles me for a quite a few weeks already!

Jack

Hi Jacklau, welcome to BF and hope you like things here.
To try and give an answer to your question is difficult as I have no knowledge of what the upgrade is going to be.
However, bins are personal items, you have to try out lots to find ones you like using. Have you tried the older version? Did you like what you were seeing with them? If yes then it would make sense to try and get a discount against them based on the new version coming along soon. Saving money is never dumb.

If it's any help to you I bought a pair of 10 x 42 RSPB bins 10 years ago when I was a volunteer with RSPB, I bought just before the models were upgraded (I didn't know at the time) and later having tried mine against the upgraded ones... I couldn't see any difference optically, the focussing arrangement was different and the rubber armour was different but optically they seemed identical. Major difference was the price, the newer versions were about £50 more expensive.

There may be some quality control issues. If you can check the focus knob and diopter in a store, you may get a good pair. Of course there is warranty but it is a hassle to send them back and forth.

They should be fairly good as is, but as it is winter, you may wait till spring when there is losts more birds anyway.

Hi Jacklau. Welcome to Birdforum.

I don't think anyone can honestly answer your questions at the moment as nobody has had the opportunity to try the upgraded models yet and details of the changes are sketchy. As I understand it they will incorporate new coatings and the diopter adjustment will be moved from the focusing wheel to the eyepiece. No doubt there will be some cosmetic changes too. I believe there will be a slight increase in price of about £10.

How much of an improvement they will be over the current model remains to be seen. They might even be worse! I was quite impressed by the present model when I tried it, with a couple of slight reservations. I don't know if you have tried them yet but I see you live in Colchester. If you could get up to Minsmere you would be able to try a pair yourself and compare them with some of the other models on show, such as the new offerings from Viking. I believe that Minsmere is having an Optics Open Day on 21/22 November, when they should have a good selection of binoculars to test outside and a rep from Viking (who distribute RSPB optics) should be on hand to answer your questions.

Good luck.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you all for your useful tips and suggestion on choosing the bin!

Ha ha indeed I have not try the bin myself,yet.

I know that there will be a Equipment demo held in Rainham Marshes this Sat 14.
And Ron also reminds that another demo will run in Minsemere next Sat & Sun too.So I plan to go through them to see if I can know more about those bins!

Once again thanks for the suggestions!|:D|

Jack

Jacklau
Welcome to BF.

As previously stated go and try them. I have looked through the current RSPB bins and was impressed by the image. However have also looked through others and been equally impressed, especially with Hawke Frontier ED. Whatever it is all down to personal preference, how they feel in your hands and the image. Would definately say don't buy without trying. Cannot see that new models will be an enormous step forward.
Always the 2nd hand market as well, well worth considering.

Phil

And here's the problem: I know that they are going to launch an upgraded version in the near future(8X32 at NOV end,while others out in next year,post by someone),is it a really DUMB decision to purchase the "OLD" version now?

Does anyone know what improvement they have make in the new version of HD bins?

Please feel free to feed me with any opinions,as I am a total fresher,you know!:loveme:

Hi Jacklau

It was me that posted on the availability of the new 8x32 HD's and I've since been told that the new 42mm models will also be out end Nov but I wouldn't count on it.

If Viking Tim is out there he may have up to date info. The pdf doc. he posted is damaged and won't load but in addition to Ron's post the new HD's have a water repellant coating on the objective lens.

The price increase is £15.

Personally I would wait to see the new ones and I think both may be around initially to compare to each other. The latter versions in stock at present seem to have addressed some of the earlier issues with the dioptre "tighter" and more positive and the central hinge also stiffened up.

Nev

If Viking Tim is out there he may have up to date info. The pdf doc. he posted is damaged and won't load but in addition to Ron's post the new HD's have a water repellant coating on the objective lens

That PDF works fine for me ... though it doesn't have any info on new 8x42 HD.

http://www.vikingoptical.co.uk/acatalog/new_products.pdf

from the original thread

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1575679#post1575679

BTW, for US readers, the Viking ED looks and specs rather like the Kruger Optical Wildwood (or Caldera with the bottom of the bridge removed) bins that were mentioned last summer (and never heard anything more about ... supposed to be shipping in November too).

http://www.krugeroptical.com/ww_roof.asp

One other comment: if they move from center diopter setting to right ocular diopter setting then I suspect the enclosure will have changed (perhaps along with the optics too). It may or may not be an improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back