• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very weird project‽ (1 Viewer)

If your income is less than £5000 you don't need to registered with the Charity Commission, so it is possible to be a Charity and not registered with the CC.

There are also things called Community Interest Companies, limited companies that are nonprofit making and have goodly goals. But all the wording around CICs make it clear they are not capital C Charities.

It is unclear what Butterflies Forever is, but I wouldn't imagine they have an income over £50 let alone £5000!
So you can claim to be a charity unregulated until you have managed to separate a number of donors from their hard-earned cash? That seems the wrong way round to me.

John

If your income is less than £5000 you don't need to registered with the Charity Commission, so it is possible to be a Charity and not registered with the CC.

There are also things called Community Interest Companies, limited companies that are nonprofit making and have goodly goals. But all the wording around CICs make it clear they are not capital C Charities.

It is unclear what Butterflies Forever is, but I wouldn't imagine they have an income over £50 let alone £5000!

But surely then you wouldn't have Memorandum & Articles stuffed full of references to the Charity Commission?!?!?!!!

They also have aspirations to raise £400k. It is those types of circumstance that require a degree of formal regulation for good reason to avoid individuals parting with their money to an entity which is not what is being held out... I have a quarter of a century's experience dealing with entities and individuals cutting fast and loose with regulatory regimes and definitions.

For now, I'll listen to the individual who has worked for the Charity Commission posting under his real name. At best, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back