• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A shadowy challenge, NSW, Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Seen around Narrabeen Lagoon 0n 4/2/24, this is all I saw! I present the original version and a second version with contrast dialled right down and brightness up a bit. I suspect White-cheeked Honeyeater. Any thoughts?
Shadow2.jpgshadow1.jpg

I can see a white patch on the side of the head: I agree it's something like White-cheeked or possibly New Holland (if occurs).

I'm not convinced that the 'cheek-patch' is real rather than photo-artifact, and its shape/position doesn't fit those of either white-cheeked honeyeater or New Holland honeyeater - though the streaky underparts do look real which would mean that those two species are the only options anyway - given that it does look like a honeyeater. In my opinion.

Manipulating the photo in gimp strongly suggests that the white patch is a real feature of the bird and not an artifact. The precise lie of the white cheek in (e.g) white-cheek is extremely variable. Tbh I thought it was one of those species even before gimp

Thank you both for your input. I think the White-cheeked is favourite due to the size of the white patch. The white tail tips also guided me to the two species of honeyeater that we have considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back