• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a secret poison in our river/seas?? (1 Viewer)

paddyluke

Wales
if you want to clean up the enviroment then stop using Fairy Liquid ,i'm surprised that it's legal to use:mad:,

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211106_192953.jpg
    thumbnail_20211106_192953.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_20211106_193004.jpg
    thumbnail_20211106_193004.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 31
I imagine that this simply means don't clean your fishtank with it?
Not familiar with the product in the US, but that might be the case, you'd be surprised how many newcomers to the aquarium hobby don't realize that you should only use water and a towel without any chemicals to clean the tank.

It is a standard warning statement that is legally has to be associated with a particular ingredient. You will find the statement on all manner of dish and laundry detergents, not just Fairy Liquid.

It refers to the product in its neat undiluted state. Cleaning products in their undiluted form have become more dangerous as the desire for reduced packaging has led to more concentrated formulations. All household detergents are required to be biodegradable in normal usage, it is just in the neat form you have to be careful.

"Harmful" is actually the lowest level of dangerous in chemical warning nomenclature, below toxic and very toxic.

Is this a picture of a new bottle of Fairy liquid from the UK?

I assume the compound responsible for the "long lasting effects" is methylisothiazolinone.
This is added as a biocide, so the dishwashing liquid is not attacked by bacteria and fungi.
The European regulations for using this material have become very strict (starting in 2018) because it can cause dermatitis.
It must be labelled if present at a higher level than 0,0015%, which is 10 times lower than the level at which it is known to cause an allergic reaction.

In Germany Fairy liquid now contains the less harmful benzisothiazolinone (I just checked), which only needs to be labelled if there is more than 0.05% present.

The good news: all these biocides disappear when too many bacteria are present, which is likely to be the case in sewage! So the small amounts from dishwashing liquid will not affect our rivers.

(I need to know these names and numbers for my job... we abbreviate the names of course!
Note that in e.g. the US or Southeast Asia, regulations are less restrictive and methylisothiazolinone may still be in use).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back