• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Norfolk patch (1 Viewer)

Karl J

As a reference for my birding trip posts this should give some idea of the area. And here's a map of the area

The Yare ( pronounced 'yair' ) river valley in Norfolk ( eastern England ) provides my local area. A lowland wetland area stretching between Gt Yarmouth and Norwich. The main characteristics of the area are open, flat landscapes, slow rivers quiet backwaters, areas of woodland / riverside carr, reedbeds and marshland / fen plus some small areas of saltmarsh.
It's a good area for lots of birdlife, wildlife in the area -. specialities include nesting Marsh Harrier, Bittern & Avocet, reedbed birds, plus lots of waders & wintering waterfowl / geese also wintering raptor inc Peregrine, Merlin, Hen Harrier and summertine Hobby.
Rare Honey Buzzard & Montagues Harrier have been reported the area ( but I've never seen either ).
Other area wildlife include Otter, Chinese Water Deer, several sp. dragonfly inc. Norfolk Hawker and lots of butterflies inc Swallowtail & White Admiral live here. Orchids ( Common Spotted, Southern Marsh and various hybrids ) and lots of other wildflowers , grasses etc grow on Strumpshaw fen meadow which to id, personally I find quite a challenge but absorbing nonetheless

The principle sites I vist are :

Breydon Water - the most local 'local area', being only 5 mins walk away - a tidal estuary with good areas of mudflats and some saltmarsh, at Gt Yarmouth. A riverside path - Weavers Way - runs along the top of the floodbank with the estuary on one side & lightly used grazing marsh on the other.

Weavers Way ( as referred to above) footpath from Breydon Water to Berney & Halvergate - a distance of about 5 miles. There's also a train station out here in the marshes for when we only want to walk one way.

The various sections of the riverside footpath from Reedham to Brundall which goes by Cantley, Buckenham ( & the adjoining marshes) and Strumpshaw Fen RSPB reserve.

As for the weather - I can't quote exact figures but it's one of the driest parts of the UK, but does suffer from more than its fair share of mist, which given the right conditions can create some interesting effects over the marshes, although is more usually just a nuisance when using a scope !

It's not the most popular area in Norfolk for birding / nature, which I think is probably to due with the low 'rarity value' compared to Cley, Titchwell reserves etc, but I/ we very rarely go anywhere else. There are the warm summer days by the river, then theres the biting cold winter days with the easterly wind howling across the marshes, And there's the bits in between as well. Personally I find it very relaxing, peaceful & tranquil and as has been said elsewhere it's fascinating to see how a habitat changes over the course of the year.

Last edited:
Nothing Like a winters day birding at Breydon with the cold north wind in your face.

Roll on Winter.

I Like the walk to Berney Mill in Summer because I can see lots of nice flora & the insect life along here is terrific.

CJ

Well .... dunno if I exactly agree with ''roll on winter'' ... summers only just here !

.... but yes , waders on Breydon, or perhaps a crisp clear winter day upriver nearer Reedham and beyond where it's a bit colder, after a hoar frost when everythings white and crystalised. Birds by the thousands. Definitely has a certain appeal to it.

Though lets have summer first .... see a few flowers, butterflies, dragonflies.

Colin, 'roll on winter', I don't think so! If it wasn't for having to work I'd sod off to Goa and rent a house between November and March. Now that would be a good patch.

I think Karl Marx once said 'Work is the curse of the birding classes'.

Dave

Norfolk is one of the few areas in UK that I know something about, and I loved it. Carlos I envy you your patch, it sounds perfectand I can, to some extent, imagine what it looks like. Thanks for the description.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back