• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 BR Ultravids (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

I have a chance to pick up a new pair of 8x20 Leica BR Ultravids for 549.00. I think this seems to be a good deal. As I understand the posts here, there are newer HD models available now. For the price, I would assume I could be very happy with the older model.

Can anyone comment on this model and the price? It is a lot of money for me and I don't want to be disappointed next week when the new version comes out.

Thanks for your comments!

Mike

HD versions are only available for 8x32 and larger models. For 8x20 and 10x25, Ultravid BR (or BL with leather instead of rubber armour, very nice...) are the latest models. Can't comment on the price, but sounds ok, in Europe they cost around 600 Euro...

Last edited:
I have a chance to pick up a new pair of 8x20 Leica BR Ultravids for 549.00. I think this seems to be a good deal. As I understand the posts here, there are newer HD models available now. For the price, I would assume I could be very happy with the older model.

Can anyone comment on this model and the price? It is a lot of money for me and I don't want to be disappointed next week when the new version comes out.

Mike

I bought a pair of Ultravids on E-bay for $400.00 but that was about a year ago. $549.00 is not a great price but rather an average price. They are excellent compacts but I prefer the Zeiss Victory 8x20 or the Nikon 10x25 LXL's. That's my opinion though. I have had the Ultravid's though. I personally had alot of blackouts with them.

$549 sounds quite good to me for a new pair. Check to see if it's the latest version with Aquadura coatings (or whatever Leica calls it). All the alpha compacts are expensive and fairly specialized affairs. I find I use my 8x20 UV's rather less than I anticipated, primarily because of the small and fiddly exit pupil.

As for HD versions, I haven't heard. It's a logical step of course, but the 8x20's CA is very well-controlled to start with, and the color/contrast is nice as well. There may be nothing too dramatic about adding HD in this case.

I doubt Leica would raise the price much if they did switch to HD however. At this point the market probably wouldn't put up with it. The little bugger is at the limits of rational pricing as it is, IMHO.

If these pocket roofs were ever changed to HD, it would be a marketing rather than a practical consideration, even for the optically obsessed. Premium pocket roofs, in my experience, have extremely low CA in comparison to 2/3 and full-sized bins. I don't think you have to worry about a 8x20 significantly better than these being produced anytime soon.

--AP

I love my Ultravid 10X25. I have spent many happy hours birding with these ultra portable binoculars when other binocular were too bulky to bring along. Mine are 4 years old and used almost daily Mon – Fri with no problems. Very durable.

If you are interested in comparing ED/HD/APO glass in small binoculars try comparing the Ultravid 10x25 with the Nikon LXL 10x25.

Both are top performers along with the Zeiss. I found the ED glass on the Nikon provides a small improvement in color and overall image in low light conditions like a concert. In daylight the Ultravid and Nikon appeared about equal with nuance differences but a slight advantage in flare control going to the Ultravid.

For anyone intrested the Nikons are selling for $400 @ http://www.binoculars.com/binocular...id=Nikon_10x25_Premier_Binoculars&TID=NIKO021

While the Ultravid 10x25 is typically selling at 75% to 100% more!

Enjoy the bins.

Last edited:
I love my Ultravid 10X25. I have spent many happy hours birding with these ultra portable binoculars when other binocular were too bulky to bring along. Mine are 4 years old and used almost daily Mon – Fri with no problems. Very durable.

If you are interested in comparing ED/HD/APO glass in small binoculars try comparing the Ultravid 10x25 with the Nikon LXL 10x25.

Both are top performers along with the Zeiss. I found the ED glass on the Nikon provides a small improvement in color and overall image in low light conditions like a concert. In daylight the Ultravid and Nikon appeared about equal with nuance differences but a slight advantage in flare control going to the Ultravid.

For anyone intrested the Nikons are selling for $400 @ http://www.binoculars.com/binocular...id=Nikon_10x25_Premier_Binoculars&TID=NIKO021

While the Ultravid 10x25 is typically selling at 75% to 100% more!

Enjoy the bins.

Yes, I agree. I have had both the Ultravid 10x25 and I know have the Nikon 10x25 LXL and I actually prefer the Nikon's. The Nikon's are sharper at the edge than the Ultravids. In fact they are ALMOST as sharp at the edge as they are on axis. I got my Nikon's on E-bay for $330.00 shipped and they are brand new. I HIGHLY recommend the Nikon's! Try them you will like them.

However the Nikon lxl got the dreaded front-focus wheel, I really can´t get along with it. I really want to use my index finger for focusing. (You might like it though). The Zeiss Victory 8x20 got a single hinge, and that is a clever invention for pocket bins, but I have heard that the small focuswheel can be hard to move when it´s cold outside. Again the focus wheel, what is it with me and focus wheels? So I think the Leica is the best in this segment, really nice view, and a smooth index finger placed wheel!

However the Nikon lxl got the dreaded front-focus wheel, I really can´t get along with it. I really want to use my index finger for focusing. (You might like it though). The Zeiss Victory 8x20 got a single hinge, and that is a clever invention for pocket bins, but I have heard that the small focuswheel can be hard to move when it´s cold outside. Again the focus wheel, what is it with me and focus wheels? So I think the Leica is the best in this segment, really nice view, and a smooth index finger placed wheel!

Yes. That's true. try the focus wheel on the Nikon before you buy. It doesn't bother me. The optics are as good or I think better than the Ultravid IMO though and they are half the price so maybe you can put up with the focus wheel. The Zeiss are a little hard but again I personally like them better than the Ultravid. Ultravids give me blackouts!

My Ultravid 10×25's have never given me blackout. Just shows how different we all are. I do agree that ease of focusing in the pcket bins could be an important consideration. It doesn't bother me, but I can easily understand why it might others.

The Ultravids are fabulous little binos but not cheap now. As Dennis says, try the Nikons (which I have not) and the Zeiss (which I have tried and also liked). If you like them as much as Dennis does, the Nikons look good value.

I havn't had any problems with the 10x25BR Ultravids either but I have with the Swaro 25x50 zoom ep. So it just goes to show how important trying these optics are before you buy, especialy considering the cost of the high end market.

Neil.

I tried out both Zeiss 8x20 Victory and Leica Ultravid 8x20 last year. Couldn't say which one was sharper, they were both razor sharp, very good! Unfortunately the single hinge Zeiss was ergonomically wrong for me, as I like to focus with my left hand. I'd like to see a twin 8x20 with hinge on the other side, for left handed focusing birders.
The Ultravids by the way were way better in sharpness and resolution than some 10x25 Trinovids that I tried as well. I haven't examined Nikon 8x20 and 10x25 HG's yet, because of their low availability here, but in theory these could be very interesting ergonomically, with the focus in front, for steady views under the rim of a baseball cap.
I like to wear a cap to keep the rain off my specs; the Nikons would allow me to get good access to the focuser, while being steadied at the same time against the rim of my cap.
My Canon 10x30's and 18x50's have focusing wheels I can actually use under the rim of my cap. So if looking for compacts, I'd prefer the Nikon HG's.

Ronald

Mike

Here is a new Nikon 10x25 LXL shipped for $345.00. Pretty good deal. On Astromart:
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=667642

Mike Hi,
In '78 I bought a pair 10x40 Zeiss...and they were very good!
In '92 : : : : 10x42 Bausch&Lomb : : : :
In '03 : : : : 8x20 Leica Trinovids : : Excellent!....at the time...they were
c75% cheaper than the previous! and c66% respectively (Thats inflation for you). If you bird 'in the gloom' you need 10x50's...If you bird under normal conditions.and your quarry is more passerine oriented, they will compare with the best. Thus I would go for the Leica....Weighing in at a little more than a 'neck tie'.You can climb into bed at night...forgetting they are still around your neck. I ain't looked back! Remember! on your proposed Leicas, they will transmit a 2.5mm beam of light into your exit pupil under normal viewing conditions, ie. bright sunlight to cloudy bright, your pupil will contract to c1mm. Giving you a 1.5mm surplus! From a 'performance to weight' perspective in my opinion they take some beating, best of luck with your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back