• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

82/50 or 82/60, what’s more complimentary ? (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

I know part of this depends on how you want to use the scopes but I wondered what your thoughts were in terms of what might be more complimentary to own, the 82 with a 50 or 60? I originally bought the 60 to be a standalone then decided I wanted the 82 and would sell the 60 but after using the 60 along side the 82, I thought I’d keep both and really like the interchangeable EPs. However, I thought there be be more advantages to having the 50 instead of the 60, and kinda like how the zoom and ep magnification throttle down more in the 50

Anyway, curious as to your thoughts as I know many of you have contemplated the same thing. Pros and cons of the different options?

I’d say it depends on what you like/mind carrying. Both 60 and 82 need tripods, a 50 might work OK on a lighter monopod. If you’re doing a lot of walking or only might want a scope then a light 50 would seem better low power option?

Peter

I have a ‘scope with an 80mm objective lens, plus zoom eyepiece which comes with me on twitches and on proper birding holidays and sits on a carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod and a Scopac for ease of carrying.

I also have a a 60mm ‘scope plus zoom eye with a very light Manfrotto tripod which fits nicely in a backpack for "family" holidays. Works well with my Manfrotto monopod, too.

Different manufacturers, so no interchangeable eyepieces.
Neither are Nikon - my local optics shop (who I have a great relationship with and who I trust implicitly) don't do business with them.

In 10 years or so, when I hit my mid/late 70s I will probably sell the 80mm and tripod.

I have both the 50 and 82 Nikons, and for their respective uses I could not wish for a better combination. The difference in size and weight between the 50 and 60 versus the relatively small gains in terms of optical performance isn't worth it in my opinion - you may as well carry the additional 500 or so grams and take the 82. As Peter has mentioned, the ED50 can be used with a lightweight tripod or monopod, whereas the 60 will still require a full sized tripod.

I own them all and use the 78ED (or 82ED) whenever possible and use the 50ED when I have to go light. I have a 60 that always gets used on a window mount and another that functions as a lender. Otherwise, I don't use it much myself.

--AP

I own them all and use the 78ED (or 82ED) whenever possible and use the 50ED when I have to go light. I have a 60 that always gets used on a window mount and another that functions as a lender. Otherwise, I don't use it much myself.

--AP
Thanks for your input Alexis, you have quite a collection. Did you see my PM?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back