• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 Weeks and Counting! (2 Viewers)

UTCbirder

Morning all:

While February can be one of the slowest times for birding and bird photography on the Upper Texas Coast (well... comparatively speaking of course) spring is nigh upon us, and late March marks the opening salvo of migration, at times producing world-class groundings of early passerine travelers.

If you are planning a trip to our little patch of avian paradise, you may consider spending a few days in the extreme southeast corner of Texas, around the Sabine Pass area.

While the quality of shots are nothing noteworthy, you may pick up a few helpful visual and photog hunting tips in the comments section found in a couple of galleries here,

http://geraldduhon.smugmug.com/

particularly those in the Spring '13 and '14 ones.

If you have particular questions about locations, weather patterns to look for or target species, let me know by PM or forum response, I will try to check back and provide what assistance I can.

good birding
UTC bireder

I appreciate the offer. I will be making a pass through your neck of the woods in the last few days of March and the beginning of April. I will spend a day or so in LA, then a couple of days staying with friends just south of Houston, so will hit high Island, Bolivar Flats, and Anahuac, and then will have to move on and head towards home in CO.

I'm not sure where my stops between FL and TX will be yet. I'm putting together my "wish list", but I will try to hit a couple of different habitats if I can. I'd love to get a Bachman's Sparrow (amongst others), and that may come from Southeastern TX. I'll hit you up with some questions I'm sure as time gets closer and I know my schedule a little better. Thanks.

hi ptickner:

that time frame can be pretty good, esp if you catch a healthy cold front or rain in the area. on days with a strong, deep onshore flow try positioning oneself at the coastal mottes around 3 or 4 pm can also produce a couple of hours of excellent warblering.

locals used to head north to the town of silsbee, texas to spy bachman's but due to habitat destruction and the presence of large blocks of land taken up by hunting clubs one has to go further north for a decent chance.

old growth pinelands with managed understory like at boykin springs is the easiest, most consistent place from our front porch and is a pretty good spot for red-cockated woodies as well,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back