• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

24/7 Raspberry Pi/birdNET monitoring (12 Viewers)

@LittleBitOfBreadNoCheese
In answer to your questions ...
1 - We don't at present have an Android app, and it may remain that way. As we're running the BirdNET model on the mobile, it does require a fair bit of (processing) resources to keep up with a live stream. The variance across Android models makes me nervous trying to support a free app.
2 - The newer version of the AI reports a number of additional species and other (noise pollution level) sounds. At present we don't have a user-settable exclusion list. I'll have a think about that one.
3 - You could check out the BirdNET-Pi site - Discussions · mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi - people have deployed those into some pretty rough locations.
If you're ignoring android, how about Windows 11 connected to same WiFi?

Just learned about a similar device: HAIKUBOX

Looks similar in spirit to the PUC device offered by Birdweather, but more expensive and requires some kind of subscription.

Just learned about a similar device: HAIKUBOX

Looks similar in spirit to the PUC device offered by Birdweather, but more expensive and requires some kind of subscription.
Yes see this post

Yes see this post

Oops. How did I miss that thread?

Did anyone ever end up getting one of those "PUCs" or have first-hand experience with one?
Well there are quite a few on the map now but unlike the Haikubox they don't have a way of sharing observations without giving away your exact location.

The main purpose was supposed to be as a drop-off unit, I have no idea if people are using it that way but as mentioned earlier on there was an issue with a lack of O-ring and I believe those have now been sent out to ensure it is more waterproof.

Well there are quite a few on the map now but unlike the Haikubox they don't have a way of sharing observations without giving away your exact location.

The main purpose was supposed to be as a drop-off unit, I have no idea if people are using it that way but as mentioned earlier on there was an issue with a lack of O-ring and I believe those have now been sent out to ensure it is more waterproof.

My interest is in real-time identification of bird songs in areas without internet connection. I may have lost the thread, but I thought that they could support a signficantly larger number of species than the Merlin app. Has anyone tried it for this purpose?

My interest is in real-time identification of bird songs in areas without internet connection. I may have lost the thread, but I thought that they could support a signficantly larger number of species than the Merlin app. Has anyone tried it for this purpose?
I don't know what model and/or species list they are using and the latest published birdNET model supports 6k species. The app is now on Android as well as Apple so you could give that a whirl.

I don't know what model and/or species list they are using and the latest published birdNET model supports 6k species. The app is now on Android as well as Apple so you could give that a whirl.

I've tried birdNET and the app, and they are impressive. My desired use case is different than is possible with the app. I'd like something that can be left running continously in the background and which will alert me once a species of interest is detected. Such an arrangement seems possible with some DIY hardware and software approach, but I would consider buying a finished product if it existed on the market.

I've tried birdNET and the app, and they are impressive. My desired use case is different than is possible with the app. I'd like something that can be left running continously in the background and which will alert me once a species of interest is detected. Such an arrangement seems possible with some DIY hardware and software approach, but I would consider buying a finished product if it existed on the market.
I don't think anything does that out of the box, if you have some coding skills the birdNET-Pi project is probably a better approach as its open source so you could just add the custom alerts to the code.

I would love the same - an app working without internet connection, and able to run in the background. As I written before, internet connection is expensive, unreliable in the field or both (especially abroad). And it would be beeping or vibrating when encountering an unusual species. Especially, if it was possible to put a list of species of interest, or "anything not recognized".

Interestingly, such software is probably easy to do - train the model for common birds and typical background noises, and alert for things NOT in the model.

The birdNet-Pi and Lexrst's approaches are both neat.

I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't require an internet connection, can run in the background, can identify many birds species outside of USA and Europe, works in real time, and is suitable for carrying around on a hike. A number of existing DIY projects and products exist that address some of these conditions. I may have missed something on the DIY side, but my takeaway is that an existing product or simple solution is not there to address all conditions. If such a solution comes up, hopefully we can hear about it on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back