• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20xW or 30xW for Kowa TSN4? (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Bit of advice please!
I have a second hand Kowa TSN4 winging its way toward me as I write. However, it has a 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I've read on one or two sites that digiscoping is better on this scope with a 20xW or 30xW eyepiece and I'd like to keep an eye open for second hand ones. Having said that, can anyone tell me which of the two would be preferable?

Thanks
Susan

I have the 30x which for general bird-watching is superb - but I am as yet a luddite and don't digiscope so I don't know about how well it would work for that - but I shall look at the replies with interest for when I indulge

Thanks Simon. I'm totally new to disgiscoping too, waiting anxiously for the postman to bring my scope!

Susan

Hi Susan,
I used to use the 30x and 20-60x zoom on my old tsn4.... ended up using the zoom for much of my digiscoping, though it's not the best zoom in the world. I found it let in a lot of light at 20x but you can get up to 30x+ if you need it quickly (and light permits). The 30x was a lovely e.p. for general viewing, but little real difference when digiscoping compared to the zoom @30x.
Out of the two fixed mags... I'd go for the 30x (ultimately you can get more detail with the 30x than the 20x).
Andy B

So I would be just as well not buying a fixed mag e.p.? (Unless I found one for a ridiculously cheap price)

Thanks Andy. This conference is great!

Susan

For digiscoping I'd suggest the 20-60x, but for normal birding the 30x gives the best view with the naked-eye... nice field of view to make finding the bird in the scope easier.
See how you get on with the zoom, there's always plenty of secondhand Kowa 30x e.p.'s for sale if you want to try one in the future.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back