• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2012 targets in Essex! (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
I have a few birds which I haven't yet seen on Essex and wondered of any of you can point me in right direction?

1) Jay
2) Bullfinch
3) Gray and yellow wagtail
4) Mistle thrush
5) nuthatch
6) glucose Gull.

Hi Wildlifelove

Where are you based in Essex? That might help narrow down some places for you to see your desired birds, though I fear 'Glucose gull' can only be done with a massive sugar-rush :)

Sean

That is cruel,Sean. We all make typos. Me especially.

Knowing, where in Essex you are based would of course help. Wherever it is, I suggest that you take a look at "The Essex Bird Report" The 2008 Report is the most recent available today -- 2009 is at the printers. These can be bought/seen at all the Essex Wildlife Trust lodges. This identifies breeding sites for both Yellow and Grey Wagtails, Nuthatch and Bullfinch. Yellow Wagtails are best seen, however, at coastal sites during spring and autumn passage (April and September).

Jays are common and widespread. There are good numbers of Mistle Thrushes at present on the Hawthorn and Blackthorn bushes -- often with flocks of Fieldfare.

Glaucous Gulls are uncommon here. One or two appear most years, between now and February, either among the flocks of gulls at waste disposal sites or in the estuaries. You need a lot of luck to find one.

Hi Wildlifelove

Where are you based in Essex? That might help narrow down some places for you to see your desired birds, though I fear 'Glucose gull' can only be done with a massive sugar-rush :)

Sean

Surely that would lead to confusion with an Icing Gull?

Anywhere around...Chelmsford, Maldon and inbetween there would be great. That's where most my birding is done.

Then I suggest you make a visit to the EWT centre at Hanningfield Reservoir to consult the "Report". If you have a look at Danbury Woods en route and at the Hanningfield reserve, at the adjacent fields and hedgerows, your chances of seeing Mistle Thrush will be good. Another place would be the gravel pits near Heybridge. They were present there today as was a Jay.

Depends how mobile you are. Hockley Woods has stacks of Jays and Nuthatch nest around the main Car Park at the Bull Park entrance.

Benfleet Downs has Bullfinch and Mistle Thrush but both can be difficult. Some town parks can do better for Mistle Thrush.

Grey Wagtails may be seen along the river sometimes in Chelmsford but any stream may hold one in the winter but they can be erratic.

Yellow Wagtails in spring can be seen at Abberton Reservoir along the Causeways and at Hanningfield whilst coastal areas such as Old Hall should also be a sound bet in the spring and summer.

Glaucous Gull will be difficult without twitching on. Best bet will be at Rainham Marshes close to the Landfill over the next few months. White-winged gulls in the south have traditionally been mid January to late March birds with perhaps the peak in March.

Bullfinch, Jay, Nuthatch and Mistle Thrush should all be possible on a walk around some of the woodlands at Danbury - brush up on the calls beforehand and it should help you out. For Mistle Thrush, it's well worth checking areas like football fields and cricket parks.

I've recorded all of these species bar Glaucous gull on the Writtle college campus since september. If you are in this area let me know and Id be more than happy to show you, though Glaucous gull is more likely than Yellow wagtail at this time of the year!
Daniel

I have a few birds which I haven't yet seen on Essex and wondered of any of you can point me in right direction?

1) Jay
2) Bullfinch
4) Mistle thrush
5) nuthatch
6) glucose Gull.

Well in Chelmsford Bullfinches can sometimes be seen around the Chelmer Valley nature reserve in town, or at the Marconi Ponds reserve near Central Park, or out around the Baddow Meads.

Grey Wagtails seem to be regular summer visitors, I've seen breeding pairs (and young) in the past at the Essex Record Office sluice, the lake in Central Park and at the Chelmer Valley reserve and individuals along the river through the Baddow Meads. Yellow Wagtails I saw quite a few out near Little Baddow on the Graces Walk track leading from the river Chelmer to Great Graces (it's marked on the OS 1:25000 map and google maps), usually around Hammonds Road.

Jay is one I find only occasionally on my wanders around Chelmsford, whether through bad luck or going to the wrong places I don't know, but have seen them in many parts of the local area so a case of keeping your eyes open.

Mistle Thrushes can be found in Central Park at times and I've been seeing 2/3 out on the large paddocks on the north side of the river Chelmer east of the Baddow Meads - go past Barnes Mill, past the first set of paddocks and the cottage garden and then to the large paddock in a rough meadow. Have seen them there quite a lot recently, along with lots of Pied Wagtails and Meadow Pipits.

Can't really help with the last two though, Nuthatch has eluded me in the local area and have never seen a Glaucous gull, but then I wouldn't recognise one if I did!

1) Jay
2) Bullfinch
4) Mistle thrush
5) nuthatch
6) glucose Gull.
Here is my help
Jay, Oaklands park now has a few.
Bullfinch, try Chigbourgh lakes, baddow meads. I have seen them at both sites.
Nuthatch, apparently there is some at Hylands park
Mistle thrush Galleywood common has a few and so does Danbury
Grey wagtail, normally one around paper mill lock or Springfield lock.
Hanningfield may yield the last two(Glaucous, yellow wag) If you are lucky but the Yellow wagtails will be in the spring/summer(I saw a flock of 40 last year).
Hope this helps and I would be happy to show you around and go birding with you if you need help.

walasea island for yelloy wagtails i counted 40 in the summer .
warley place brentwood essex wildlife trust .has nuthatches and jays.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back