• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2010 Lothian self found list (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi All,

As a bit of fun I thought I might try a Lothian self found list this year, perhaps it might get me out a bit more, anyone else from Lothian can feel free to post their list on their own thread, thus bringing some competition but above all else FUN.

So here goes............highlights so far are

1. Reed Bunting-an excellent addition to my garden list.
2. Fieldfare-lots around the area,

A more up to date count will be added once I get round to it but as its 01.35am its night night.

Last edited:
Out and about today resulted in a year total so far of 57 Varieties and not a bean to be seen.

Highlights were Blackwit,Twite and Woodcock:t:

Added Greenshank, Jay and Lesser Black-backed Gull today as well as some commoner species including Wren and Robin, still need a lot of the common finches as hard weather has pushed them out of the countryside it seems.

Total now 65

Out and about today with total now at 78, highlights were S.E Owl and Peregrine, also saw a GN Diver but cant count that as my mate found it:-C

Bloomin Awful morning saw me and my band of birders braving the high winds and horizontal rain that hit your face like peas straight out of a pea shooter.

First stop was for Gulls at Skateraw dump, very large numbers present but nowt of note, onwards it was then.

Ended up at Scoughall where Kingfisher, Brambling and Gannet were added, the Lord and Gentry were out and about also blasting away at pheasants so at least a dozen woodcock on the go.

6 new species today takes me on to 85, still need Greenfinch:eek!:

Six species added today to take it to 91 for the year so far.

Saw Green Sand, but as two birds were present there at the end of the year I was unable to count this.

Bird of the day though was the Red Grouse that flew over the road onto farmland at Brownrigg near Aberlady, this bird was well away from the nearest hills (Lammermuirs) that hold this species, an obvious cold weather movement!!:t:

Still seeing Woodcock, Brambling and lots of Thrushes on my travels around East Lothian, bit of a bar steward though going birding with my mate who's s**t hot as he always seems to find something before me then takes great delight in calling them out, thus I cant count it, Pintail, Shoveler & Med Gull prime examples today:-C

Then again, perhaps I should have looked down my scope rather than into my lunchbox at the time:-O

Finally caught up with a pair of Tits today, one was Great.

93 for the year, still need Siskin, Greenfinch, Redpoll, and so on...........

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Greenfinch added today whilst at work;)

This takes me to 94 and it's now the 20th January, pretty poor really as I have had 110 in the first week in the past.

This is due to the adverse weather conditions meaning that I stayed in a LOT:gh:
The fact that I needed Greenfinch up untill today say's it all really with regards to the weather and staying in over that period.

Another species missing is the Waxwing, this was always a home banker whilst travelling around Edinburgh in the winter, there's time yet though if not next winter, watch this space!

95 with Siskin today whilst at work, this list has progressed about as much as a Snail doing physics lately, although its helps to get out;)

Added Redpoll whilst at work today, I seem to have seen more at work than I have been out birding of late. This takes me to 96 so far, but wait a minute what type of Redpoll was it!!!

Well as it was a flight job, I cant really rule out Arctic or Common, but as both are scarce in Lothian, with one even bloody rare! I am having it though, so 96 it is;)

Reached the ton this weekend, highlight a Merlin over Aberlady, birding was okay this weekend with 2 G N Divers (one dead), Water Rail and water Pipit but all of these unfortunatly not finds.

Had a look in Gosford for woodland species but this was hampered by Firecrest twitchers, so soon legged it out of there.

Gave the Firecrest an obligatory 10 mins but unsurprising no sign, although I would have been pleased if I had even managed a Nuthatch!

On an abysmal 104, although not surprising as I haven't been out for the best part of a month, with the additional species accumulated mainly whilst at work.:-C

MEMO: MUST DO BETTER!

Finally managed to get out for two days in a row this weekend!!

The fact that my mate pretended to phone Birdline Scotland with the info that I was out in the field said it all really.:eek!:

Have I finally burnt myself out after years of trudging the Lothian coastline or am I just becoming a lazy bastard who's having a midlife crisis, neither I guess because I blame it on a lack of birds recently and an apalling winter.

Much better to stay safely tucked up in bed;)

Anyway back to the list, had a little exploration in some woodland today and turned up a Nuthatch, brilliant not only a Lothian find tick but a life find tick, hmfffffffff so what I hear you southerners say, but the fact is as recent as 2006, Nuthatch was rarer than Hens teeth in Lothian but now just about every mature bit of woodland seems to have at least a pair nowadays:t:

So at present its 105, still s**t i know but hopefully as spring progresses I will get out more.

Green sand & Crossbill added takes it to 115, although maybe more as I havent counted up my list for a while.

Trickle of spring migrants gradually increasing the list, now at 123.

Added today were Tree Pipit, a pair at Barns Ness, including the male breaking into song:t:
Also Common Sand & 3 Grasshopper Warb.

Need to add up the totals but finds since my last update inc Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Little Egret, Pom Skua & Lap Bunt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back