• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x50 Rubber Coating Breaking Up (1 Viewer)

Pitter

The rubber coating on my 12x50 purchased in 2018 is cracking. The binocular has never been left in hot sun or cold temperatures or in any other condition I can think of that coulsd be detrimental to the rubber. It has never been used after applying alchohol to my hands (pandemic) and very few occasions after using insect repellant. I am stumped why this is happening and very disappointed. This binocular is not inexpensive. What's more I have a friend who uses a 10x50 purchased about the same time. The protective coating on his binocular appears to be of a different material and shows no damage.

DSC00041.JPGDSC00042.JPG

It does not take much insect repellant to begin to degrade these synthetic materials used for armor on Binoculars.
Additionally it could also be a defective batch/mixture of materials used to make the armor.

Hi Pitter,

Over the last couple of years there has been considerable discussion, along with other gruesome photos,
of self-destructing rubber armour on Swarovski binoculars.
The first thread dates from September 2019: EL 10x42 casing deterioration.

In terms of the cause, especially see post #7 in the above link.
And for some more info, see post #6 at: Swarovski SLC 10X42 Rubber Casing Fault

In terms of a solution, all you can do is return the unit to Swarovski for replacement of the RA
. . . but in terms of turn-around times, Swarovski is having ongoing problems with service delivery.
It follows on from when they attempted to implement an upgrade to their computer systems late last year.
See: Avoid needing repairs!

John

Last edited:
Of course send them in, Swarovski will likely replace the armor under warranty since it seems to be a new field pro edition, however one should take care and be aware that certain chemicals previously mentioned, can impact the armor.

Does Swarovski‘s warranty on these new field pro models mention specifically to avoid DEET based compounds etc? Otherwise they’re going to get a lot of returns - be it birder or hunter, some of us still use the stuff…for mobs of black flies nothing beats Muskol.

Does Swarovski‘s warranty on these new field pro models mention specifically to avoid DEET based compounds etc? Otherwise they’re going to get a lot of returns - be it birder or hunter, some of us still use the stuff…for mobs of black flies nothing beats Muskol.

DEET is well known for disolving plastics. It's been the ruin of many a hiker's waterproof jacket. Photographer's won't go near the stuff for what it does to camera equipment. Picaridin is a good effective alternative without the plastic attacking properties.

Years ago Deet destroyed my eye glasses, the plastic frames melted, so what is it doing to your skin never mind contamination to binoculars or cameras.
Use "Skin so soft".

My 8X25 Pocket CL experienced the same thing late last year. It was only used inside, watching through my windows and on a balcony. Never ever used DEET. Hadn’t used it for a couple of months and noticed cracking and deterioration on the bottom of the barrels. It was about 4 years old.

I sent it in and Swarovski fixed it as new within a month. I just purchased a new Curio as a result and hope that it won’t have the same issue. I hope that they changed whatever materials they were using before.

My impression is that the deterioration of the rubber coating is age realeteed not Deet related and mine is deteriorating fast (five years old. ) I'm now using super glue to hold some of the cracks together and bandaids where the deterioration is too large. The right side rubber cup came off and disappeared on a recent birding trip in a bouncing vehicle. I am reading warnings about returning a Swarovski binocular for service due to long wait times and I imagine this would be exacerbated shipping from Colombia. I might add that back in 2004 I bought a Leitz 12x50. It had a sticky focos wheel and is notably heavier than the Sworofski, I always meant to sell it. Glad I didn't. That binocular remains in pristine condition after 19 years sticky focus and all.
I understand that Sworofski has experimented with different rubber coating materials. Great for them , not for me! Leitz picked the right material from the start, no need to experiment (at owners expense). I am sorely disappointed. The sole advantage of the the Sworofski 12x50 over the Leitz 12x50 is weight. Optically there is no difference whatsoever.

The rubber coating on my 12x50 purchased in 2018 is cracking. The binocular has never been left in hot sun or cold temperatures or in any other condition I can think of that coulsd be detrimental to the rubber. It has never been used after applying alchohol to my hands (pandemic) and very few occasions after using insect repellant. I am stumped why this is happening and very disappointed. This binocular is not inexpensive. What's more I have a friend who uses a 10x50 purchased about the same time. The protective coating on his binocular appears to be of a different material and shows no damage.

View attachment 1492619View attachment 1492620

I am thinking about buying a used 12x50 in an even worse condition.
Would Swarovski repair it under warranty? Given it is a clear manufacturing defect.

Even if it is clear I am not the original owner? Does the warranty exist independently of the owner?
You might want to check with them to confirm.

I don't think its only for the original owner, their website states:

"for products without electronics produced after 2007 (e. g. NL Pure), SWAROVSKI OPTIK covers the costs for labor and material for 10 years (5 years manufacturer's warranty, 5 years goodwill) in case of a warranty repair

For a warranty repair, a warranty/service document or proof of purchase is needed."

They might also check against the serial number to determine the year of manufacture, to calculate the warranty period.

My impression is that the deterioration of the rubber coating is age realeteed not Deet related and mine is deteriorating fast (five years old.
Maybe, but my 2017 ELs still look like new. Don't underestimate just how insidious DEET is to polymers; once the stuff gets into contact with certain compounds, they're basically doomed, though it may take some time for the damage to become apparent.

Anyway, warranty will sort it out; once that's taken care of keep the new armour far, far away from insect repellents.

Do you really think they are outdated? I had a look through a pair a couple of months ago, really nice glass. Not outdated at all I think

Folks complain about weight... One day hiking the Bay Trail during winter migration, I came upon a couple birders. One prolly all of 5'3"ish and of an age, had what looked like an EL 42 around her neck. I asked how she liked it. Was surprised by the answer. Turns out they were 12x50s. They had been shipped by some online retailer by mistake. Before returning, she went birding. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back