• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom H5 configuration (1 Viewer)

Avetarda

Spain
I recently bought this recorder and I doubt to configure some parameters:

-rec format 48 kHz 716 bit or 24? 96 kHz / 16 or 24?
-multi file or stereo file?
-Voltage Phantom 12v, 24 or 48v?

And when I plug in the external mic (Sennheiser ME66), I only listen on one channel, on the right earphone I hear "fffffff". And when I pass the recording to Audacity (screenshot attached) I only see one channel and listen through one speaker. What do I do wrong, what do I´ve to configure? Help! Thx.

PD. With Olympus LS P4 I see on Audacity two channels and I listen for the two headphones on the country and at home, for the two speakers.

Attachments

• captura_pantalla.jpg
    captura_pantalla.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
Recording format depends on how long you want to record for and how big a card you have. If you are going to be just using the recording as audio then record in the highest quality format you can to give you enough time on your card. If you are going to be using the recording to overdub a video then record the audio in the same format as the video camera is recording the audio, this simplifies the editing process.

If you are just recording with one mic then it doesn't matter multi file or stereo. If you are using multiple mics and are going mix them in post then pic multi, if you just want a recording to listen to then pic stereo.

Phantom power voltage depends entirely on the mic you are using. Phantom power uses the recorder to power the microphone, so set the voltage to match the requirements of your microphone. As far as I can gather the ME66 doesn't use phantom power.

If you are using just one external mic you will get a mono recording. You can duplicate the track in Audacity to give you a fake stereo track. There may be a pan or balance control on the recorder that will send the external mics to different or both sides of the stereo track, you will need to consult the manual.

Recording format depends on how long you want to record for and how big a card you have. If you are going to be just using the recording as audio then record in the highest quality format you can to give you enough time on your card. If you are going to be using the recording to overdub a video then record the audio in the same format as the video camera is recording the audio, this simplifies the editing process.

If you are just recording with one mic then it doesn't matter multi file or stereo. If you are using multiple mics and are going mix them in post then pic multi, if you just want a recording to listen to then pic stereo.

Phantom power voltage depends entirely on the mic you are using. Phantom power uses the recorder to power the microphone, so set the voltage to match the requirements of your microphone. As far as I can gather the ME66 doesn't use phantom power.

If you are using just one external mic you will get a mono recording. You can duplicate the track in Audacity to give you a fake stereo track. There may be a pan or balance control on the recorder that will send the external mics to different or both sides of the stereo track, you will need to consult the manual.
So, I cancel the phantom power I understand ...
I don't understand or know what to do, is to listen to both channels and speakers, even if the recording is in mono. I don't know which option of the recorder to choose

With one mic I would record on one channel and duplicate in post. With Audacity:

1 - Control C (copy)
2 - Control D (paste)
3 - Make stereo track

The problem is that while I record I only listen through an earphone and on the pc, I only listen through a speaker! And I´d like to hear for both ...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back