• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

Black-and-white Tody-Flycatcher was the last one of some 70 IOC ticks (more according to BirdLife or Brazilian list) on Fernando de Noronha and in Amazonia.
The most exclusive tick was probably Chestnut-headed Nunlet, but this will likely receive a steady stream of visitors as long as the water level is high enough.
Not many people go to Noronha, but you need just 10 minutes on the island to see the endemic birds. The line for the entry payment takes longer.

Merganser with up to 19 chicks in downtown Cieszyn, Poland. Actually it was on the border river between Poland and Czech Republic. Adult female merganser was hunting and diving in the shallow river near a bridge. You could see it perfectly under clear water hunting for small fish. Later I encountered a female hanging out on rock islet with 17-19 chicks (not all are visible in the image). I'm not sure whether it was the same female, and I'm not sure whether all the chicks belonged to one mother. Is it possible for two females with two sets of chicks to hang out together, taking turns hunting?

It is my bird species number 335 :)

1717145242060.jpeg

1717145255466.jpeg

Merganser with up to 19 chicks in downtown Cieszyn, Poland. Actually it was on the border river between Poland and Czech Republic. Adult female merganser was hunting and diving in the shallow river near a bridge. You could see it perfectly under clear water hunting for small fish. Later I encountered a female hanging out on rock islet with 17-19 chicks (not all are visible in the image). I'm not sure whether it was the same female, and I'm not sure whether all the chicks belonged to one mother. Is it possible for two females with two sets of chicks to hang out together, taking turns hunting?

It is my bird species number 335 :)

View attachment 1582805

View attachment 1582806
Goosander in Europe, Common Merganser in North America, Mergus merganser.

David

Wow, that photo of the Goosander with allll the chicks is amazing, what a brilliant sighting to have as your life list entry!

My most recent life-list addition is actually a bird I saw six years ago - I know, I know, I feel bad for ignoring the poor thing all this time! I'd taken the pictures of some little cute bird I didn't recognise, while walking to Foxton Locks from the car park, intending to look up what it was when I got home from my trip.
Then totally forgot - back then I hadn't started birding, just a fan of nature in general, so ID-ing everything wasn't a priority, hah
The other day I went to look back at my photos of the locks and canal boats, and there were these three shots of the bird in the tree I'd walked under. Of course, now I've spent a lot more time reading my bird books, I recognised it right away, and can say I saw my first (and only) Spotted Flycatcher back in the summer of 2018!

Attachments

• spottdflycatcher.JPG
    spottdflycatcher.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back