• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

I thought the Tundra Bean Goose would have been my last lifer for 2023, if not also the last new ABA bird of the year. Turns out I was happily wrong, as the American Flamingos (nicknamed the "Fab 5") that were seen while I was in California were relocated at a inland lake quite a few hours drive away. Unfortunately, they never popped up on the "Ebirds Needs Alert" for Wisconsin, since I guess technically they are not on the state list! So I only found out on Monday afternoon.

So with great trepidation I headed out there this morning before teaching...thankfully found the birds right away. Probably would have been my last chance to do so. It's currently unusually warm in Wisconsin, but a cold front is moving in tomorrow which I would guess might cause the birds to move on.

Fingers crossed now for something to pop up near me in November!

I thought the Tundra Bean Goose would have been my last lifer for 2023, if not also the last new ABA bird of the year. Turns out I was happily wrong, as the American Flamingos (nicknamed the "Fab 5") that were seen while I was in California were relocated at a inland lake quite a few hours drive away. Unfortunately, they never popped up on the "Ebirds Needs Alert" for Wisconsin, since I guess technically they are not on the state list! So I only found out on Monday afternoon.

So with great trepidation I headed out there this morning before teaching...thankfully found the birds right away. Probably would have been my last chance to do so. It's currently unusually warm in Wisconsin, but a cold front is moving in tomorrow which I would guess might cause the birds to move on.

Fingers crossed now for something to pop up near me in November!
Congrats. I got the ones in PA. It's been a crazy summer.

Semipalmated sandpiper, white rumped sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs and a buff breasted sandpiper seen at Frampton marsh- the semi-p turned up while I walking to the reserve and the buff breasted was located about 70 meters from were a group us were waiting- giving amazing views to the gradually increasing crowds watching it- being my personal highlight from the trip (lighting wasn't great but still managed a few decent images).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 22.36.35.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 22.36.35.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 24
Eurasian Dotterel - BirdForum Opus | BirdForum on migration in Ostfriesland Germany on the 28th Sept. On our week long trip to the German /Dutch North Sea coast/ Wadden Sea. I got a further 35 year list birds from the coast, mainly waders/shorebirds, but also a Barn Owl, which was a first for my Germany list. Unfortunately we were on a busy road at the time, so no photo, but both of us saw and recognised it. Funny that those birds not yet ticked, but really wanted, stay freshest in the mind.

After 5 (net) armchair ticks with the latest eBird update, I was able to get back to Mexico to add White-throated Jay and Blue-capped Hummingbird from the slopes south of the regional capital of Oaxaca.

American White-winged Scoter, Helgoland, Germany.
When I arrived on Saturday it had been showing in the morning and had just been lost. It was nice enough to fly in a little later to be within a reasonable distance for about 15 minutes. It couldn't be found this morning (after a stormy night) and only flew in again when I was ready for the boat back. But with Great Northern Diver, Lapland Bunting, Black Guillemot and Short-eared Owl not the worst way to spend the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back