• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woolston Eyes (1 Viewer)

Photos, sound recording and sonogram of the Siberian Chiffchaff can be found here, as can a bit more info on the adult Little Gull that now lives in my freezer!

Cheers
Jason

Hello Alan. I knew there was talk of a new website but didn't know it was up and running, thanks. How do you register for members log in. Not going to get to the Eyes this weekend, off to Norfolk. Hope the B.N. Grebes are still at the Eyes the week after.

Hello Alan. I knew there was talk of a new website but didn't know it was up and running, thanks. How do you register for members log in. Not going to get to the Eyes this weekend, off to Norfolk. Hope the B.N. Grebes are still at the Eyes the week after.

Hi Ray,

The new web site still needs some work doing on it as some of the old sections need updating and this will be done by various wardens. At the moment the wardens have got passwords so they can edit the information on the web site and update the sightings and also input a few photos. Eventually galleries will be set up in which to input images, at presently there are a few photos in the habitat section including a few of mine.

Later any one who is a permit holder will be sent a password to enable them to log on to input their own sightings, however we still would like fuller records to be entered into our our log book in the Sybil Hogg Hide as that is what we base our annual report on. However no passwords are required for non permit holders to view the web site.

As the web site is new there are bound to be a few problems or things we have missed. I think already it is an improvement as you can see sightings are more up to date and thats with just input from the wardens. Dont worry about the Grebes they are not going anywhere for a while and when you are back then more of the Warblers should be back.

Cheers

Alan

WECG web site

Our new Woolston Eyes web site, currently named "woolstoneyes.com" , has been running alongside our original web site "woolstoneyes.co.uk" so the two sites could be compared.

Our original web site is now offline and we are in the process of transferring our original domain name woolstoneyes.co.uk to our new web site.

A mediteranean gull was seen from the Tower Hide a few days ago but as I have strained both of my achiles I have not been down myself for a while so have no updates on the numbers of warblers.

Do you still have the annual warbler count at Woolston in early May?

CB

Hi CB,

Yes, we still do a warbler count in May but no longer survey them on a fixed date or survey the beds as extensively as we used to! This was very strenuous and over the years the habit has changed and some areas are now too difficult to get to or too dangerous to survey.

We decided to divide the beds into Transects by drawing up set routes for each of the 4 beds using established paths which can be followed more easily. It was also decided to leave the date flexable so that visits could be done in favourable weather. We will also try and do a later second survey that would give an indication on breeding using BTO codes.

We now have a map of the set route to be followed on each of our beds which should give more reliable records when done by differant wardens over the coming years. It wont provide the most accurate maximum counts but should be a good indicator of population change over the years and was considered to be a most sustainable method of surveying the beds.

Cheers Alan

Lashing it down with rain on No 3 bed shortly after I arrived but I still managed to see 16 Black Necked Grebes. The 2 Little Gulls first reported yesterday were showing well over the North West pool. Several Blackcaps heard but not seen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back