• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why don't we use What3words for bird sightings? (1 Viewer)

I find it incredible that someone in a responsible position in the Highlands can't read a map. What three words is only helpful when it can be related to the ground situation: knowing which ten metre square won't tell you if that location is halfway up a thousand foot cliff unless you can understand an OS map. Which ought to be the difference between hurtling off on a twitch and putting on the kettle.

John
Once, a decade or so ago, in need of the assistance of the AA at a location on a remote narrow road that had no obvious classification, I supplied the location as a full map reference, reading out the northings and eastings. The response was, "What's a map reference?"...
MJB

We're insisting on it just as we drive on the wrong side of the road and use miles - obviously the one and only reason being to make life as difficult as possible for everyone else ;-)

(Yes to finding good stuff too)

Yeah I agree, you should do something about miles and left hand driving as well :)

But really look at the responses about systems in other countries, it's a mess! And all the countries in Europe are so small, so you drive for a few hours and suddenly you should know a new system? If there only was a project to sort of ...unify things in Europe? :)

In my experience the bird news services just parrot back the information you supply to them. I’m sure that they would include a “what three words” reference if a birder supplied one.
That said, I have no idea what the take up of the “what three words” system is amongst the general public or birders.
I have done that they converted it into a grid reference
On the rare occasion I find stuff will put on twitter with a what3word ref

We're insisting on it just as we drive on the wrong side of the road and use miles - obviously the one and only reason being to make life as difficult as possible for everyone else ;-)

(Yes to finding good stuff too)
Don’t forget selling beer in pints.

More seriously, Streetmap.co.uk not only gives you the excellent 1:25000 OS map centred on the location*, showing paths including right of way information**, and things like buildings and watercourses and lakes, but will also zoom out to the 1:50000 map and then to road maps on a series of scales, out to an all-UK map (though omitting the Republic of Ireland or the continent - Daily Telegraph fashion - “fog in Channel, continent cut off”). It will also zoom in to local street map type maps on two larger scales, though as an OS enthusiast I find those less useful.

*which can be a place name, including street name, or postcode or decimal latitude and longitude as well as a grid ref.

**great fun to whip out a map and point out to a landowner that you are inclined to believe the Ordnance Survey rather than his opinion that you are trespassing, though obviously if you are trespassing (almost a requirement for much birding), you keep the map (or phone nowadays) hidden - Edit: and plead ignorance, which can be easy to make convincing.

I can totally see the problem with potentially dangerous scenarios but I can still see lots of positives. We've all been on a big twitch and gone the wrong way, it's not much fun when you are tight on time and you are faffing about. It's not so bad if you aren't travelling solo and you can do your homework on the way.
Also there are loads of messages where only the locals would know the location of the named spots are. Just the other week I was at South Gare and people were asking where the shrike bushes were. I'd put directions out from the bushes for a bird but obviously you need to know where they are then estimate 100yds North etc. Another factor is people's idea of half a mile etc can vary massively. Sometimes the news services are reluctant to put out more specific directions presumably because it takes longer to do this and they may be very busy.

I find it incredible that someone in a responsible position in the Highlands can't read a map. What three words is only helpful when it can be related to the ground situation: knowing which ten metre square won't tell you if that location is halfway up a thousand foot cliff unless you can understand an OS map. Which ought to be the difference between hurtling off on a twitch and putting on the kettle.

John
Here was my position today - and as you can see - satellite overlay shows with remarkable precision and gives a wonderful view of the surroundings.

Attachments

• what3words.jpg
    what3words.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 25
Apologies if this has already been covered but this seems a no brainer. It is so frustrating knowing you are in the general area when twitching but are unsure exactly where to go if there isn't anybody about. Would the news services be up for adding the info as well as the traditional directions. It can be a real task of trying to calculate distances accurately when sending in sightings/ following directions. Are any local groups WhatsApp etc using this and are there any issues to consider?
Also I was on a first aid course today and the trainer said that the emergency services will use this if given the three word coordinates. I had heard this before but wasn't sure if I was just the developers trying to promote their product. This could be a massive help in a potential emergency bearing in mind how far off the beaten track we often get. The trainer was telling us about a call she went to and the difference between the sat nav directions and the What3words coordinates was many miles.

Apart as far from birding use as you can get (but perhaps strangely appropriate),but an example of even the UK Government using what3words ...

Had an unsolicited letter from DEFRA today saying we were being sent the letter as we were 'within 10km of an outbreak' 'of Avian Influenza' (Bird Flu). Part 2 of the letter is a form you have to fill in to register a location of anywhere in the area where poultry have been located in the last 8 weeks.

The relevant bit on the form to the discussion being the box you have to fill in -

'Map Ref/ What 3 Words location of poultry'

Thought interesting ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back