• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (3 Viewers)

Lochwinnoch was the quietest it's been in a while today, both in regards to number of visitors and the species present.

No new birds for me today. A few House Martins and Swallows, while there were lots of chicks on show with the Mallards, Canada Geese and Lapwings (of the latter I only spotted two, I believe they started with four - they had two last week too so that's a good sign that these two might make it to fledging). I only saw one of the two adult Little Ringed Plovers, but I'm sure the other was around. I didn't see the Ringed Plovers that had been around during the week, but the Common Sandpipers were still here.

Went to Victoria Park today because Fossil Grove was open. This contains a batch of fossil tree stumps from the Carboniferous, 330 million years ago. The building they're housed in has been in a bit of a state for years as the council won't fund conservation work, so it's been taken on by a trust. They only open it on occasion and today I got to go down onto the floor and walk near the fossils.

Birds on show at Victoria Park included Little Grebe, Sand Martins, Coots (still sitting on nests but no young around yet). A little girl was trying to touch one of the Mute Swans but it was clear it wasn't going to allow it. With bird flu around there are signs up in most places where birds congregate asking people not to touch any birds that have died or are in distress, but this should apply to apparently healthy birds too - they're not pets, they're wild birds.

There were lots of Lesser Black-backed Gulls too with many different plumages. It looks like a good place to study them and get to know the different ages.

There's a place on the north bank of the Clyde called Ardmore Point that I used to go to when I had a car. It was a great place for estuary birds - waders, sawbill ducks, seals and even the occasional cetacean. But since I gave up my car, it's one place that's been inaccessible to me.

But just around the corner from Ardmore Point is Cardross and it even has a train station. I thought I'd give it a go even though I thought it might be more limited compared with Ardmore Point. The train drops you off practically right on to the riverfront. You have Port Glasgow/Gourock/Greenock across the river and to the west and north you can see the hills of Argyll and Loch Lomond.

There's a patch of open ground with some benches to observe the river and a path leading east a little way to another bay, and then another path leading west past a sawmill. You can actually walk over the shore to Ardmore Point and as the tide was out I went a little of the way to see what the walk was like. It was quite rough underfoot with rocks and stones, so it's hard going, but doable. Only thing to watch for is the incoming tide - there's one bit where the water comes right up against the shore, so you COULD get cut off. Not knowing the tides I didn't want to chance it, so I just went part way there.

Highlights today included Red-breasted Merganser, Common Tern, Goosander, Shelduck, 22 Eider (all but one was male). There were loads of House Martins which kept flying right over my head - more than I've seen before. One Sand Martin and a few Swallows. The walk to the west takes you past some fields with horses. It looks like ideal Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow habitat, but none were around although I've read that they have seen here in the past. But there were lots of House Sparrows, two Pied Wagtails, some Greenfinches, a single Wheatear, and a single Linnet which I thought was great. I even had my first Skylark singing over a field. I thought it had been years since I saw my last, but I checked and I saw one last year.

Other highlights included a Goldcrest, a Wren with a green caterpillar that was nearly as big as itself, a fledgling Robin and also fledgling Starlings, seven Turnstones (typically they were just wandering about a metre or so away), and two Ringed Plover in early evening before I left. Glad to see the latter as I usually see them annually but they had been missing from my list this year. Warblers included Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Whitethroat. There is a little burn which has had Little Egret in the past.

All in all, 43 species spotted. Now I know how good this site is and how easy it is to get to by train, it's going to be on my regular itinerary, especially to see the changing of the guard when we head in to next autumn and winter.

Peregrines at Glasgow University

By the way, for those in Glasgow, there are Peregrines nesting in the tower of the Gilbert Scott Building at Glasgow University and they have two chicks. The SOC is collaborating with RSPB and others to set up a viewing programme, with a soft launch tomorrow between 14:00 - 16:00 outside the Hunterian Art Gallery (that's the one right outside the library on University Avenue, across the road from the main building). Go along and see if you can see them - I plan to.

Last edited:
I went to Glasgow Uni to see the Peregrines. We joined the new Clyde recorder John Simpson.

We saw both adults (the female had been out hunting for most of our visit but came back with some prey). They have three chicks all at different stages of development. The female was ringed in Norwich in 2019. The male isn't ringed but is thought to be a year younger than the female.

They plan to work with some climbers to abseil into the nest site and bring the chicks down to ground floor to be ringed. It's possible this could be done under observation - so if you're interested in seeing Peregrine chicks up close then keep your eye out for social media updates over the next few days. The plan is to aim for Thursday or Friday, but it's weather and schedule dependent.

I went to the Botanic Gardens afterwards and walked along the Kelvin back to Kelvinbridge. I'd hoped to glimpse a Dipper or Kingfisher, but no luck. Highlight was a couple of Goosander flying up river.

When I was on the Kelvin Walkway, one of the signs was pointing upriver towards Dawsholm Park. Has anyone ever walked this route before - if so how long would it take? I'd like to visit the park to try and see the parakeets.

There's a place on the north bank of the Clyde called Ardmore Point that I used to go to when I had a car. It was a great place for estuary birds - waders, sawbill ducks, seals and even the occasional cetacean. But since I gave up my car, it's one place that's been inaccessible to me.

But just around the corner from Ardmore Point is Cardross and it even has a train station. I thought I'd give it a go even though I thought it might be more limited compared with Ardmore Point. The train drops you off practically right on to the riverfront. You have Port Glasgow/Gourock/Greenock across the river and to the west and north you can see the hills of Argyll and Loch Lomond.

There's a patch of open ground with some benches to observe the river and a path leading east a little way to another bay, and then another path leading west past a sawmill. You can actually walk over the shore to Ardmore Point and as the tide was out I went a little of the way to see what the walk was like. It was quite rough underfoot with rocks and stones, so it's hard going, but doable. Only thing to watch for is the incoming tide - there's one bit where the water comes right up against the shore, so you COULD get cut off. Not knowing the tides I didn't want to chance it, so I just went part way there.

Highlights today included Red-breasted Merganser, Common Tern, Goosander, Shelduck, 22 Eider (all but one was male). There were loads of House Martins which kept flying right over my head - more than I've seen before. One Sand Martin and a few Swallows. The walk to the west takes you past some fields with horses. It looks like ideal Yellowhammer and Tree Sparrow habitat, but none were around although I've read that they have seen here in the past. But there were lots of House Sparrows, two Pied Wagtails, some Greenfinches, a single Wheatear, and a single Linnet which I thought was great. I even had my first Skylark singing over a field. I thought it had been years since I saw my last, but I checked and I saw one last year.

Other highlights included a Goldcrest, a Wren with a green caterpillar that was nearly as big as itself, a fledgling Robin and also fledgling Starlings, seven Turnstones (typically they were just wandering about a metre or so away), and two Ringed Plover in early evening before I left. Glad to see the latter as I usually see them annually but they had been missing from my list this year. Warblers included Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Whitethroat. There is a little burn which has had Little Egret in the past.

All in all, 43 species spotted. Now I know how good this site is and how easy it is to get to by train, it's going to be on my regular itinerary, especially to see the changing of the guard when we head in to next autumn and winter.

Peregrines at Glasgow University

By the way, for those in Glasgow, there are Peregrines nesting in the tower of the Gilbert Scott Building at Glasgow University and they have two chicks. The SOC is collaborating with RSPB and others to set up a viewing programme, with a soft launch tomorrow between 14:00 - 16:00 outside the Hunterian Art Gallery (that's the one right outside the library on University Avenue, across the road from the main building). Go along and see if you can see them - I plan to.
an fyi for ardmore point, theres a path along the main road from Cardross to Helensburgh that you can walk along then cut down the road to ardmore point, saves having to worry about tides, even a bus stop just up from the ardmore entrance on the eastbound side of road so could get the bus from the Helensburgh stop there and walk down

an fyi for ardmore point, theres a path along the main road from Cardross to Helensburgh that you can walk along then cut down the road to ardmore point, saves having to worry about tides, even a bus stop just up from the ardmore entrance on the eastbound side of road so could get the bus from the Helensburgh stop there and walk down
Ah cool, I didn't know there was a footpath along that stretch. Probably not the most pleasant walk along that road, but it's good to know it's doable (and that there's a bus).

Ah cool, I didn't know there was a footpath along that stretch. Probably not the most pleasant walk along that road, but it's good to know it's doable (and that there's a bus).
yeah its not the nicest of paths, not walked it myself other than a short stretch when i stopped to watch a kestrel one day, usually one along that stretch everyday that i seen either on the way to or home from work aswell as the odd buzzard, the bus option is probably the best bet, get the train into helensburgh for a wander and coffee etc then bus out to ardmore for a walk and take it from there either walk along to cardross to finish off the day or get the bus and catch the train, maybe a good idea to take a note of tide times before you head too, I use an app on my phone for tide times so you could get an app too that way you can check when out

I've done Cardross before but even forewarned I got into trouble with the tides as I hadn't thought out my return leg and was going slower than expected.

When I was on the Kelvin Walkway, one of the signs was pointing upriver towards Dawsholm Park. Has anyone ever walked this route before - if so how long would it take? I'd like to visit the park to try and see the parakeets.
Walked run and cycled it, it takes a while on foot though. The parakeets have spread out a bit now, I've seen them in Maryhill Park and Millichen Farm.

Went to Arrochar today with the intention of seeing Hooded Crows - got seven of them, along with one Carrion Crow. This is a bit of boundary for both species.

On the water four Black Guillemots, four Goosander and surprisingly considering how far from the open sea the head of Loch Long is, six Gannets.

I had an hour and a half to use up before the return bus arrived (then three hours to the next), so I pondered just sitting on the bench and seeing what birds would appear over the water. But I had Glen Loin behind me. There's a circular walk that takes you deep into the hills but at 11 miles it was a bit far for today and I hadn't come prepared food and drink-wise, and I'd probably struggle fitness wise. But I've done the walk before and I knew I could do the start of the walk up to a certain point and then backtrack again, so that's what I did - around 3 miles there and back.

Highlights on this walk were Wood Warbler and just as I arrived back in Arrochar I could hear a Cuckoo calling. It's perfect habitat for them but I thought I might be too late in the season to hear one calling, so that was lucky. As seems to be the case on every trip out now, there were Blackcap and Willow Warbler too. The point I walked to is just after you clear the woodland path. You emerge out onto an expansive wet meadow. It's like a walled garden, it traps the heat - it was scorching. I walked to the high point just at the other end of the meadow from where you can trace your path back. There were lots of butterflies, beetles and moths to be seen along this path. I'd recommend this glen walk if you're ever there.

Edit: I felt sorry for this guy who got on my bus. I'd seen him asking for help at the bus next to ours at the bus station and he was pointed to our bus. He got on and later the driver called out "Inverbeg!" The guy (a tourist with quite poor English) said he was expecting a city and the driver said "No, this is a village not a city". I believe his intention was to go to Inverness (that was the bus beside our bus at the station!). I hope he was able to make his way back to Glasgow or caught another bus to Fort William where he could get a bus to Inverness. But he looked totally lost. I feel the bus company should take some responsibility for not properly listening to where he was heading.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to walk to RSPB Loch Lomond from Gartocharn but avoiding the road (1 mile with no pavement, no thanks).

Edit: it looks like there is a route from Gartocharn after all. Risk of having to go through fields with cattle, so I'll see how that goes! I just hope the bus from Balloch turns up - last time I was there the bus didn't show up.

Last edited:
Yeah there's a path that goes from Gartocharn (Millennium Hut they call it). It's supposed to go down by some fields and then across a bridge, but the bridge is closed due to damage. However, there's a single-track road that goes around the fields and you can walk along that instead - much safer than trying to walk along the main road from Gartocharn.

Walk around Lochwinnoch today. Very hot.

Best moment came was when I was watching a Nuthatch feeding its fledgling on a branch. I was really pleased to see this as 1. I normally see the adults at a feeding station so it was great to see them in natural habitat, and 2. it confirmed breeding of these birds at Lochwinnoch. During an incredibly busy few minutes at this part of the reserve, other birds that turned up in view included a Spotted Flycatcher, a Blackcap, a Wren, several Great Tits, Coal Tits and Blue Tits, a Blackbird, while a Great Spotted Woodpecker was nearby including knocking on trees.

Other highlights included confirmation of Common Sandpiper breeding here as I spotted a young bird with an adult, continued flourishing of Lapwings with two chicks quite well grown up now, Little Ringed Plover sitting on a nest, a Greenshank turning up.

An Osprey flew over, a Sparrowhawk was spotted near the feeders, and a Barn Swallow was building a nest inside the hide overlooking the scrape. I hope the birds stick with the nest, but it's at a height where it could be easily disturbed. Maybe the reserve will close access to the hide while the birds are there over the summer.

I spotted seven Grey Herons all at one point, two adults and five well grown young birds that had also been seen flying around the reserve.

Two male Roe Deer were chasing each other around the reserve in plain view, and unfortunately this included over the scrape where the waders and the Black-headed Gulls have young. Here's hoping there are no accidents.

The reserve was full of insects too including Azure and Large Red Damselflies and a species of dragonfly. I also found a shell of a freshwater snail (Great Ram's-horn) on a fence post. Either left there by an angler or someone pond-dipping, or perhaps taken by a predator. In fact I also saw a Lesser Black-backed Gull take a fish from the water too.

The eastern end of the reserve was blanketed in Willow pollen too - there was so much of it that you couldn't see the vegetation under some of it. It's just waiting for the wind to come and disperse it.

As I said above it was very hot and very dry with water levels really low. That might be good for the ground nesting birds, but some other species might struggle if water levels continue to fall.

I went to RSPB Loch Lomond today. This is at the southeast end of Loch Lomond, between Gartocharn and Balmaha. The RSPB put on a guided tour a number of years ago before it had opened to give people a preview of what kind of habitats it contains. I really enjoyed that visit but I hadn't been back until today.

Their visitor centre is just a hut and a gazebo. They had a couple of staff/volunteers on to welcome people to the reserve and point out the trails. You start quite high up and then walk through some woodland. One of the paths is a circular woodland walk, another takes you to a viewpoint looking north towards Ben Lomond and another descends through the woodland and ends at the lochside.

I look the latter path - this was one of the new paths that have been added since my preview visit all those years ago. It's mainly broadleaved woodland with all the typical woodland birds, but it's also home to Red Squirrels and Pine Martens. I didn't see the latter (and didn't expect to), nor did I see the squirrels although I thought there'd be an inside chance.

You descend the hill to emerge at a fantastic hide next to a pond with Whitethroats singing and Chaffinches flying to and fro. I was quite excited to see a Hornet on the hide. Once you leave the hide you walk along past some wildflower meadows and then a very large fen with a boardwalk across it. Here I saw lots of Sedge Warblers, Stonechats, Meadow Pipits and I heard a distant Pheasant, my first of the year.

You then leave the fen and enter more mature broadleaved woodland. The path eventually runs parallel to the loch shoreline and you end up at a couple of seats overlooking the very southeast edge of the loch, with a wide expanse of mud exposed and vegetation behind. The latter is home to ground nesting birds so people are discouraged from walking along it, although they don't mind you walking over the mud to the other side as long as you choose a safe route. From here I saw three Ospreys circling in the distance, and the small trees had visits from Willow Warblers, Wood Warblers, Nuthatch and Goldfinch. On and over the waterfront were Common Sandpiper and Sand Martins, with a single Swift flying over. I could hear a singing Skylark too although I couldn't see it.

I also saw some nice butterflies including Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Northern Brown Argus, as well as some I've seen elsewhere already this year such as Orange-tip and Large White. I was with my dad and he's not really a birder and can't walk too far so this is as far as I went, but I'd love to go back and spend the whole day there and explore other parts of the reserve.

I went to RSPB Loch Lomond today. This is at the southeast end of Loch Lomond, between Gartocharn and Balmaha. The RSPB put on a guided tour a number of years ago before it had opened to give people a preview of what kind of habitats it contains. I really enjoyed that visit but I hadn't been back until today.

Their visitor centre is just a hut and a gazebo. They had a couple of staff/volunteers on to welcome people to the reserve and point out the trails. You start quite high up and then walk through some woodland. One of the paths is a circular woodland walk, another takes you to a viewpoint looking north towards Ben Lomond and another descends through the woodland and ends at the lochside.

I look the latter path - this was one of the new paths that have been added since my preview visit all those years ago. It's mainly broadleaved woodland with all the typical woodland birds, but it's also home to Red Squirrels and Pine Martens. I didn't see the latter (and didn't expect to), nor did I see the squirrels although I thought there'd be an inside chance.

You descend the hill to emerge at a fantastic hide next to a pond with Whitethroats singing and Chaffinches flying to and fro. I was quite excited to see a Hornet on the hide. Once you leave the hide you walk along past some wildflower meadows and then a very large fen with a boardwalk across it. Here I saw lots of Sedge Warblers, Stonechats, Meadow Pipits and I heard a distant Pheasant, my first of the year.

You then leave the fen and enter more mature broadleaved woodland. The path eventually runs parallel to the loch shoreline and you end up at a couple of seats overlooking the very southeast edge of the loch, with a wide expanse of mud exposed and vegetation behind. The latter is home to ground nesting birds so people are discouraged from walking along it, although they don't mind you walking over the mud to the other side as long as you choose a safe route. From here I saw three Ospreys circling in the distance, and the small trees had visits from Willow Warblers, Wood Warblers, Nuthatch and Goldfinch. On and over the waterfront were Common Sandpiper and Sand Martins, with a single Swift flying over. I could hear a singing Skylark too although I couldn't see it.

I also saw some nice butterflies including Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Northern Brown Argus, as well as some I've seen elsewhere already this year such as Orange-tip and Large White. I was with my dad and he's not really a birder and can't walk too far so this is as far as I went, but I'd love to go back and spend the whole day there and explore other parts of the reserve.
Hi John,

Thanks for doing the report. I have never got around to going to Loch Lomond yet and always wondered how successful it would be and will now make an effort to get there. Problem is I need to drive past Lochwinnoch and always end up just going there. Did you walk in from Gartochan and if so how was it?

Cheers,

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back