• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wearing white and talking while birding? (1 Viewer)

BruceBerman

Supporter
I'm a little confused about good birding techniques. When I'm out birding I wear clothing that helps me to blend in with my environment. I'm convinced that that works yet I've seen guides wearing light colored clothing in dark jungle areas. I also try to be quiet when walking and talk in a low voice if I'm with another birder yet I can hear birding groups talking a kilometer away when I'm on a trail. Any thoughts on what might be the best tactics to use when in the field?

I'm a little confused about good birding techniques. When I'm out birding I wear clothing that helps me to blend in with my environment. I'm convinced that that works yet I've seen guides wearing light colored clothing in dark jungle areas. I also try to be quiet when walking and talk in a low voice if I'm with another birder yet I can hear birding groups talking a kilometer away when I'm on a trail. Any thoughts on what might be the best tactics to use when in the field?

The clothing thing is contentious simply because birds' senses are so sharp that you can't - just can't - move around without them seeing you, whatever you are wearing, even if it works standing still. Some people will argue that camo is even counter-productive because birds will think you are a predator trying to sneak up on them, though personally I think this is a hyperactive imagination at work. It's certainly the case that togs in full camo standing in the open on a boardwalk photographing Hobbies that are chasing dragonflies they can spot at half a mile are not fooling anyone except themselves.

For jungle areas what is worth researching is evidence dealing with how stinging, biting and disease-carrying insects find humans. I'm sure I read that some home on either light or dark surfaces (and I can't remember which gnaarrgh) and that's probably more worth worrying about than whether your quarry is going to be aware of you: your clumping feet relative to the paws of cats and weasels will ensure they are, whatever else is going on.

John

The clothing thing is contentious simply because birds' senses are so sharp that you can't - just can't - move around without them seeing you, whatever you are wearing, even if it works standing still. Some people will argue that camo is even counter-productive because birds will think you are a predator trying to sneak up on them, though personally I think this is a hyperactive imagination at work. It's certainly the case that togs in full camo standing in the open on a boardwalk photographing Hobbies that are chasing dragonflies they can spot at half a mile are not fooling anyone except themselves.

For jungle areas what is worth researching is evidence dealing with how stinging, biting and disease-carrying insects find humans. I'm sure I read that some home on either light or dark surfaces (and I can't remember which gnaarrgh) and that's probably more worth worrying about than whether your quarry is going to be aware of you: your clumping feet relative to the paws of cats and weasels will ensure they are, whatever else is going on.

John
I believe that dark colors attract certain insects but there's no way I'm wearing something light. When alone, I walk like a cat, slowly and quietly. Yes, some birds still see me but I'm convinced that I get fairly close to some of them because they haven't yet noticed me.

How clothing shows up under UV light would be the interesting thing, as opposed to whether it is light coloured or appears contrasting to us per se. And then whether they contrast/'glow' so much that they act as scary to birds ... or are just indicative of our presence ...

There is a collection of birding short stories titled, "Real Birders Don't Wear White". That title was taken from the story written by Sheri Williamson who compiled the collection. In her story she relates how she was guiding a group in the Huachuca Mountains in southeast Arizona to find a vagrant Eared Quetzal. She ALWAYS found that bird, but not the day that one of the group was wearing a white shirt. If I remember correctly, they returned to their starting point, he changed his shirt and they were then were able to find their target bird. On this side of the pond our White-tailed Deer flash the white underside of their tails when they see danger. Maybe I'm overthinking this, which is the reason I've posted this question.

Last edited:
Choice of clothing is much more important when watching mammals. Birds don't seem to give a fig.

The folk clad head to foot in camouflage sat in a hide at a bird reserve are LARPing just as much as Civil War reenactment types.

How clothing shows up under UV light would be the interesting thing, as opposed to whether it is light coloured or appears contrasting to us per se. And then whether they contrast/'glow' so much that they act as scary to birds ... or are just indicative of our presence ...
I seem to remember reading somewhere that washing detergents contain a compound that makes the clothes glow in the UV spectrum. If it's true, even clothes that wethink are black must be glowing like a light bulb to birds.

I believe that dark colors attract certain insects but there's no way I'm wearing something light. When alone, I walk like a cat, slowly and quietly. Yes, some birds still see me but I'm convinced that I get fairly close to some of them because they haven't yet noticed me.
Small sample, but in Tanzania, the tse-tse flies always bit on the dark parts of my gloves, never the light ones..
They were also quite unfazed by pyrethrin treated clothes.

Camouflage or green / brown / black clothing can help if you're standing still, in the forest.

From the moment you are moving, or you are in a group where some are always moving a bit, or you are (solo or in group) out of the forest, the potential benefits disappear quickly.
It doesn't do harm if everyone wears green / brown / black, but I wouldn't say, unless you're going after Ground-cuckoos in the Amazon or Pittas in SE Asia (for example) it does much harm if one is wearing something white (worst there is) or colorful (potential hummer magnet :) ).

The clothing thing is contentious simply because birds' senses are so sharp that you can't - just can't - move around without them seeing you, whatever you are wearing, even if it works standing still.
I've always thought this theory is logical. I don't wear white while birding but I've never been convinced it makes much/any difference what colours you wear. The loud talking of groups to me seems more likely to put off birds just going on experience.

I always wear camo combats when I go out walking or birding - not cos I think the birds are in any way fooled that my legs aren't there cos of the pattern, just those are my everyday trousers! I'm a gardener so they hide the stains from kneeling in unpleasant whatever - worst being begonia flowers! - and I've always visited the horse field before a day out, so they're also good for disguising the inevitable mud. And I LOVE the pockets, I don't know how I managed without being able to carry snacks and batteries and keys and interesting stones and a pocket watch and gloves and a plaster and some nose-wiping toilet roll, all in instant easy-access reach without having to lug a bag around!
I do sometimes think that non-birders I meet on the paths will think I'm attempting and failing to be invisible, or that we all think a bird can't see us cos of a bit of camouflage print - but I'm not going to buy less convenient trousers just to hint to strangers that I'm not trying to fool the birds, hah!

In Costa Rica I found that hummingbirds were quite attracted to the pink shirt of my daughter, so I'd recommend to wear bright pink ;)

Seriously though, I think the color of clothing does not matter much, as has been said, birds will notice you regardless of the color. How you behave matters more. Sitting still has birds often accept you and come closely. Moving slowly and not directly towards the bird allows approaching more closely than fast movements or direct approach.

I agree that loud talking should be avoided. In dense forest, this is a sure way to scare away birds before you get a chance to see them. In hides or open country, it matters less, though loud noise should always be avoided, obviously.

I've always thought this theory is logical. I don't wear white while birding but I've never been convinced it makes much/any difference what colours you wear. The loud talking of groups to me seems more likely to put off birds just going on experience.
Even if you don't talk and just walk quietly down the path, many birds are still scared -- I've noticed several times that after I crouch and don't move for a few minutes, I am rewarded with hearing or even seeing those shier birds that I wouldn't suspect are present -- often right next to me.

I remember once seeing a guy in professional green camo wading through high dry grass, which made him stand out a lot. On the other end of the spectrum, I once birded in an HV tabard in broad daylight, and I had the impression that the birds were noticing me and flushing faster than I'd want them to.

I always wear camo combats when I go out walking or birding - not cos I think the birds are in any way fooled that my legs aren't there cos of the pattern, just those are my everyday trousers! I'm a gardener so they hide the stains from kneeling in unpleasant whatever - worst being begonia flowers! - and I've always visited the horse field before a day out, so they're also good for disguising the inevitable mud. And I LOVE the pockets, I don't know how I managed without being able to carry snacks and batteries and keys and interesting stones and a pocket watch and gloves and a plaster and some nose-wiping toilet roll, all in instant easy-access reach without having to lug a bag around!
I do sometimes think that non-birders I meet on the paths will think I'm attempting and failing to be invisible, or that we all think a bird can't see us cos of a bit of camouflage print - but I'm not going to buy less convenient trousers just to hint to strangers that I'm not trying to fool the birds, hah!
Black combats or multi-pocketed walking trousers are my choice. Not that I'm suggesting you ditch them and buy new ones. I'm always amazed how many birders wear jeans. Fine for the home or the pub but far from ideal for birding.

I've found these answers interesting in that so many don't think that clothing colors matter. I'm still not convinced to stop wearing my greens and khakis but I can be stubborn. Many times I've "surprised" birds but part of that could be due to my slow walking style while birding. Certainly mammals aren't as aware of me when I'm birding in camo. Just as an aside, once I was birding in a forest near a lake where people were fishing. While I moved slowly through the trees, a young woman approached me, dropped her drawers and squatted. I quickly turned away and began moving slowly away from her, figuring that if she saw my back she'd be able to tell herself that she was doing her business unseen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back