• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterthrush, southern Ontario, May 2016 (1 Viewer)

D Halas

I photographed this waterthrush on the 12th of May, 2016, in a suburb to the west of Toronto. At the time, I put it down as a Northern, chiefly because the supercilium didn't broaden at the rear, as I believed a Louisiana Waterthrush's should. Louisiana Waterthrush is also considerably rarer than Northern in southern Ontario. I've been going over my old photos, however, and now that I take a second look at these, I wonder if it isn't a Louisiana after all. I've since read that the supercilium doesn't necessarily get broader at the rear on a Louisiana, and several of the bird's other features look better to me for Louisiana than Northern – in particular, the pattern and density of the streaking on the breast and sides. Comparing my photos to Sibley's illustrations here, the streaking pattern certainly looks closer to that of a Louisiana Thrush. There are a couple of dark spots on the throat, but Sibley says that "some Louisianas have scattered small dots over throat", so that doesn't seem to eliminate a Louisiana Waterthrush as well.

The habitat was a downed willow tree in fairly dense undergrowth immediately next to a fairly broad creek, in a deeply eroded valley. It isn't an area where either waterthrush is known to breed.

So, is this a white-bellied, sparsely-streaked Northern, or a Louisiana with a weak supercilium?

Attachments

• waterthrush1.jpg
    waterthrush1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 38
  • waterthrush2.jpg
    waterthrush2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 48
  • waterthrush3.jpg
    waterthrush3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 29
  • waterthrush4.jpg
    waterthrush4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 45
  • waterthrush5.jpg
    waterthrush5.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 42
I see where you're coming from, but I'm getting a Northern feel for this bird on structure, size of bill, supercilium shape, and underpart streaking. That's just my opinion, which could easily be swayed here!

It is a little funny you say white-bellied when I see a yellow cast (though not equally strong on all images). Another feature pro northern is that I do not see a darkening of the underside color (the base color between the stripes) towards the flank. Louisiana is supposed to have a buffy to brownish cast on the flanks.

Niels

It is a little funny you say white-bellied when I see a yellow cast (though not equally strong on all images). Another feature pro northern is that I do not see a darkening of the underside color (the base color between the stripes) towards the flank. Louisiana is supposed to have a buffy to brownish cast on the flanks.

Niels

I see what you mean, but most of that yellow cast, if not all of it, is due to the light being filtered by the young, newly-emerged foliage on the trees above the bird. I've adjusted some of the photos in Photoshop with the auto tone and auto colour functions to give what I believe would be closer to the actual colour under neutral light. In the three I've attached here, there's much less of a yellow cast, if any. As for the buffy cast on the flanks, that was a concern of mine, too, but unless I'm fooling myself there does appear to be a bit of it in images 1 and 4 – maybe it stands out a bit better in the filtered images?

Attachments

• waterthrush1adjusted.jpg
    waterthrush1adjusted.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 12
  • waterthrush4adjusted.jpg
    waterthrush4adjusted.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 21
  • waterthrush5adjusted.jpg
    waterthrush5adjusted.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
In the first image, I get a distinct Northern feel. On a couple others, I'm not so sure. However, I'm still leaning towards Northern.

Bit of a tough bird, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back